1941 Wizard Fuel Tank ?

50's OMC

Cadet
I got a 1941 Wizard 3hp outboard. It is a very nice running motor with a very nice low idle and it is also quiet. However, the fuel tank is a 2 piece tank and I've not been sucessful in sealing it. I try to make sure the surfaces are clean and smooth/flat. What are the best "gas-proof" sealents out there and are there any tricks to sealing gas that I may not know about? Thanks for your help!:)

Willyclay

Captain
Re: 1941 Wizard Fuel Tank ?

I got my start with outboards on a 1947 Wizard WD4(S) which I learned early-on was really a Mercury. The link below will get you to some info on the old Wizards but I did not see anything that would answer your question. Maybe you could try over at AOMCI. Also, the motorcycle restoration guys seem to have a handle on sealing gas tanks but I am not familiar with the products. Good luck!

http://store.oldmercs.com/category_s/12.htm

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1941 Wizard Fuel Tank ?

I know your motor is not related to a Martin, but nothing leaks like a Martin Outboard two-piece tank. I've had excellent results sealing Martin tanks with Pro-Seal. If it's good enough for an airplane, it's good enough for an outboard. Get it at www.wicksaircraft.com Type pro-seal in the search box (with the hyphen). It is part number FPS 890-20Z. A kit will do a Martin tank, which requires a lot more sealant than your Wizard.