starting 06 Bayliner 175 on land

mikectm2

Cadet
Hi got a 2006 Bayliner 175 was a little hard starting yesterday since hadn't started it in about a month. when i had been running it every 2 weeks or so, didn't have this problem. I use a launch service and the boat isn't parked close to a water spicket, so is there any device i can buy that holds maybe say 5 gallons that has a little hand pump that i can hook-up the 'ear muffs' to in order to start the boat for just 30 seconds or so.

After posting this, i'll start the Internet hunt for such a thing. Just anything used to start a boat for an extremely brief period on land where no Water Spicket is nearby. i have a 5 gallon jug if i filled that with water and hooked a couple feet of hose to the ear muffs and put that in the jug, would the outdrive "suk" up the water in the jug ?

i'm assuming that a total dry start would be harmful to the little impellar in the outdrive right?

cr2k

Captain
Re: starting 06 Bayliner 175 on land

Starting your boat for that short of time is very bad for it especially if done repeatedly. No time for oil circulation or warm up. You will just wear the rings and bearings out very fast.

Yes a dry start would also burn up the inside of the exhaust hoses.

Bondo

Staff member

i'm assuming that a total dry start would be harmful to the little impellar in the outdrive right?

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,... yer Correct....

Why not have a Tune Up done, 'n Fix the Problem,..??
Rather than a bubblegum approach,..??

mikectm2

Cadet

Hi printed out some start procedure instructions that i got from here. yeah that all makes sense. Is the boat harder to start when it inclined on a Boat Launch ? the tow service guy should just let me get all the way in the water/off the trailer before having me start-it-up i'm thinking

i called a couple places on the newport dunes marina list of service providers. i wanna change the spark plugs myself. i think they're original the engine and outdrive fluids were recently replaced. is there anything else like 'greasing the prop' ? i grew up around lake boats a bit and i don't remember ever hearing or seeing anyone do this.

Bondo

Staff member

i called a couple places on the newport dunes marina list of service providers. i wanna change the spark plugs myself. i think they're original the engine and outdrive fluids were recently replaced. is there anything else like 'greasing the prop' ? i grew up around lake boats a bit and i don't remember ever hearing or seeing anyone do this.

Ayuh,... Go up to the Adults Only section at the top of this forum, 'n spend an hour or 2,...
Lot to learn there....