what kind of boat is this

rivermouse

Senior Chief Petty Officer
It doesn't appear to be a tinny. Would it have wooden stringers ? thanksIMG_3714.jpg

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: what kind of boat is this

It's obviously fiberglass like Sears used to sell in the small boat market. So what's your question? On wood stringers, probably not as it had nothing to support......maybe a balsa wood double deck which is essentially water resistant, unlike Douglas Fir or Southern Yellow Pine used for stringers in larger boats that had thickness between the deck and the bottom.......I personally wouldn't worry about this boat on those grounds.

Mark

southkogs

Staff member
Re: what kind of boat is this

If I'm not mistaken, it's plastic. I used to own a 14' from the late 60's or 70's (never figured it out) that was similar to that with an Eska 9HP on it. No wood of any kind that I could tell in it. Seemed to be all molded, but it did have a plug in it. On the overall, I didn't mind the way it handled - hated the way it rowed - and loved the way the soft plastic tolerated being run into the occasional rock (bunch of submerged ones where I was fishing with it).

I didn't like it as much as the fiberglass row/motor boats I'm used to, but for tight river fishing with a small O/B on it - it wouldn't be bad.