Carburetor intake needed on Force 40 HP?

TravG

Cadet
I've a 1996 Force 40 hp outboard. It's been running a bit rough lately and I want to rule out the easy things first. Since I bought it a year ago, the carburetor has never had an intake filter/cover. It opens straight into the cowling. There are 3 screw holes, indicating there should be something there, but the drawings I've found for this motor don't show anything (I looked through all the drawings)
Capture.jpg

There's a few specs of oily dirt in the carburetor intake, so perhaps it's gummed up a bit. Easy enough to fix that by cleaning it out, but if there's supposed to be a cover, it will just happen again. Any recommendations? Do I even need to worry about this part? I could head to a parts shop and have them look it up if necessary. Thanks!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Carburetor intake needed on Force 40 HP?

102_6429.jpg102_6414.jpg100_6082.jpg

No cover is necessary and there is no filter. These same carbs are used on the 75, 120, and 125 hp engiones. The 4 cylinder engines have a black plastic cover that prevents spit back from coating the inside of the hood. If you can find one cheap you can add it but I have not seen them on the smaller 40s and 50s.

As you can see, I sometimes paint the carb covers, in this case red or white.