Excessive exhaust smoking 1977 Chrysler 135HG

seattle scott

Petty Officer 2nd Class
this is a "barn" engine of unknown history. Was having fuel dripping out the carbs, followed everyone's advise and replaced the inlet needles and adjusted the floats and no more dripping. Engine running in a tub. Starts in 2 seconds, good water flow and after five minutes water discharge temp is bathwater warm. New gas and mixed 50:1. Spark plugs are new and when inspected have no fouling/carbon etc., but are wet with fuel. Exhaust is white smoke and if I was on the water it would look like a boat fire. It has Tillotson TC carbs and I can find no lean/rich adjustment, just the idle needles. Sucked a bottle of Sea Foam into the fuel line and the engine ran on straight Sea Foam for a few minutes. ( holly smoke batman) Shut engine off and waited an hour then ran it on the 50:1 gas until Sea Foam out of system, (fuel in see though in line filter went from clear back to the blue tint of the 50:1 mix). So anyway there is a horrable degree of white exhaust smoke.

So should I check compression to see if bad rings? If OK, then what?

I know if have excessive or unburt fuel in the cylinders because of the "wet" plugs,so is this causing or contributing to the smoking? Is there a way to lean the carbs? The engine has the vacum or breather hose system that transfers the crankcase gases around between the cylinders to reduce fuel consuption and exhast emissions, which I have not checked. I have not checked/adjusted the timing.

I will try to get a photo up tommorow since the smoking was truly amazing.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Excessive exhaust smoking 1977 Chrysler 135HG

So: You decided it would be a good thing to run the engine without oil! Well, probably no harm done unless your definition of a few minutes means an hour and unless the seafoam washed the oil film off the bearing and ring surfaces.

The engine does not have a fuel economizing or emissions reducing system. It does have a large balance tube between the manifolds to equalize airflow through the carbs.

It also has an oil recirculating system of small hoses. This improves the idle. These hoses pick up unburned oil and condensed fuel from the crankcases and bypasses. They then squirt this oil into two cylinders to be burned. This prevents it from building to a point where a slug enters a cylinder and makes it too oily and/or rich to burn. This prevents missing at idle. It has almost no effect at higher RPM.

You can not richen or lean the carbs. They have fixed high speed jets matched to the carbs and engines. These jets are only changed when the engine is used at high altitudes.

You can, hovever lean the low speed needles and will probably then need to rebuild the engine. Low speed needles need to be set at about 1 turn out or you will melt pistons. See the synchronizing post in the FAQs at the top of the page.

You really need to check the thermostat and water passages: White smoke sometimes indicates staem from an overheating engine.

seattle scott

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Don't think the exhaust contains steam. New impeller, good water flow out of the engine, doesn't get so hot that you can't keep your hand in the discharge water. Checked the T-stat - it opens at 165F. Smoke present at start up and doesn't change character as engine warms up. Idle needles are set at about 1 turn out.

Raw fuel on the plugs means I still have a carb problem or a ring problem?

I thought seafoam had a lubricant in it. I have now reviewed the decarb process and won't do the straight seafoam as a fuel source again.
Raw fuel on plugs can cause excessive smoking?

I will do a compression check and then go from there.

I thought Sea

TwoFish

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi seattle scott

I have attached a photo of what my plugs look like after idling for a short time. Being a premix 2 stroke they always look at bit wet. As far as I know this is normal. I?ll be interested to see what others think. I run Quicksilver premium oil 50:1 so nothing special. The motor runs well and will idle for extended period of time with no problems.

3 plugs.jpgplug.jpg

fucawi

Banned

Looks like water in there to me ..if you run at wot for a few minutes ..stop ..remove plug ..if it looks like its been steam cleaned you have water in there .....a small % of water will not stop it running in fact water injection is used to increase power ..but you are not a spitfire fighter in WW2

TwoFish

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the tip fucawi.

I'll give that a try next time out and post the result on a separate thread.

TwoFish

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry double post

fucawi

Banned

double posts are good they get you closer to Petty Officer 1st class ..!!!!..Been to Adelaide ..Bikers Rule and to Wyalla ..arm pit of the world

seattle scott

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks twofish. Give me until next weekend to get back to town and take some plug pics for show and tell.