serious problem with 2005 Optimax 225?

rsimmons42

Petty Officer 2nd Class
everyone,

i am looking for some information. I was in a tournament this last Saturday, When it came time to launch, i got about 1 mile from the ramp when my engine sudenly died, no alarms. I tried to restart it, and nothing. I checked all the usual stuff turn off/on the main power supply and go back to the console and start the engine, everything seems fine, running smooth. I start off again and get about 200 yards and the engine goes into guardian mode then dies. I start it right back up and it has a rattle to it. So i immediately shut it down. I felt all of the cylinders and none seemed hot. I was getting a good tale tale. I also didn't see anything that was out of the ordinary. I pulled all of the spark plugs today and all looked good until i got to the last one. It was a dry and looked like it got hot, like a piece of metal was melted to it hard to discribe. i also noticed that the plug wire was rusted at the spark plug end. I looked in the cylinder as best i could w/o pulling the head, i did not see anything alarming. The engine ran at best with the rattle for 1 minute.

i have attached a photo of the sparkplug. Where do i start????What do i do???? i am mechanically inclined.

thanks for the info.

Attachments

• spark plug.jpg
    spark plug.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 0

rsimmons42

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: serious problem with 2005 Optimax 225?

will do that. what could of caused this to happen?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Overheat, lean fuel mixture, lack of lubrication, ignition timing or any combination of the four.

rsimmons42

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks for the information. I will pull the Head and post pictures. I think i can rule out the Overheat. I felt the engine. Never was hot on any of the cylinders. I will see what the piston looks like

rsimmons42

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Update!!!!!

had the engine rebuilt. I had a ring cease up. I had lost compression in the one cylinder. The slapping noise i heard was the piston. Walls were not damaged. Have had the boat on the water for about 3.5 hours. seems to be running good. I blame myself for the failure. Was not using Quick Leen in the gas.

Also my mercury fuel line was completely deteriorated. Grey line.