What size trolling motor do I need for my J16 Carolina Skiff?

scjakester

Seaman
May I ask for some quick trolling motor advice for my J16 Carolina Skiff? I found a sizing chart, but it was kind of confusing. My boat really doesn't fit the chart, it is a jon boat, but it's not an aluminum hull jon boat, it is a fiberglass Carolina Skiff. The chart mentioned a 'v' hull, mine doesn't have that either, it is a flat nose Skiff. I think both of those somehow come into play when sizing, but I'm not really sure how much. I know this is probably backwards, but the main use for the trolling motor is to act as secondary propulsion. I feel better out on the lake with a backup motor to get me back to a ramp just in case something goes wrong with my outboard. The secondary purpose would be to use it to pull planer boards.

Advice:
1.How many #thrust does that boat need to move it along pretty good with a couple of fat middle-age hillbilly looking guys that always pack more gear than they honestly need? :D

2. I'm leaning toward the transom mount, but only because I don't want to drill any holes in my boat. Would a bow mount or a transom mount motor work best? I have the large casting desk insert installed on the Skiff if that makes a difference.

3. I'd really like to keep it to a single 12v model if possible, would a single battery setup be enough to push the boat nicely and have enough life/duration to take us several miles to a ramp?

If anyone has any make/model recommendations I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance to any replies.

-Jake A.
South Carolina

fucawi

Banned
Re: What size trolling motor do I need for my J16 Carolina Skiff?

Well you are only going to get about 3 mph. get the biggest you can afford ...you can always turn it down but once its flat out thats it ..get a least a 40 lb model ...another post below on the same subject