what do i do

ron40

Cadet
:confused: ive been lookin around for info?? i have a 23 stiger craft with a 1990 200 h.p johnson on it. well the ethenol in the gas tore the carbs apart. i had the carbs rebuilt, now the problem is getting the tank cleaned or even removed. the tank is under the deck. do i have to rip it up???? or can i remove enough decking to get a hole in the tank.(. professonaly) and have it cleaned. they would have to tig weld it after they were done. is there anyone that has gone through this

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: what do i do

I know you want to clean the tank, but what exactly is the problem with it? Your carbs should been fine with E-10, my 1976 200 has had no issues on a constant diet of E-10 for at least 10 years.

ron40

Cadet

the needle and seets were not allowing fuel into the carbs, stuck shut.... the gas in the tank looks like a rusty color. and this is the second batch of gas the firsy one i syfened out,before putting in anothe 20 gallons...and now that gas is no good. same as the other gas i took out.

ron40

Cadet

after rebuilding the carbs i put a 10 gall. can of fresh gas on the deck and ran a line from there....she ran like a champ.not looking forward to taking the deck up if that is what needs to be done

ron40

Cadet

what is e-10? i know thats may sound like a dumb ?? ethenol?

QC

Supreme Mariner

E-10 is 10% Ethanol and 90% Gasoline.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

If it actually looked like rusty gunk, then the tank is history, it's time for new one. Sticking needles may have nothing to do with E-10, it has been happening to outboard motors (any carbed engine) since long before E-10 has been around.

Cutting the deck may be the only way to remove and replace it., there should be a small access port someplace above the tank though.

ron40

Cadet

yea, were the gas guage is and the pick up there is a access panel. just not sure if thats enough room to get the 110 gallon tank completely cleaned....if thats even a option now

ron40

Cadet

were,how would it rust...there would have had been water in the tank in order for it to rust? and there was some . thats why i took all the gas out and put new gas in with a bottle of dry gas. i appreciate all imput

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Most of the time water is either pumped in when you filled it, or leaks in around the gas cap, vent, sending unit, etc. Dry gas won't help with rust (if it is rust), and that's the real issue right now, water can be removed fairly easily.

jacoboregon

Petty Officer 1st Class

were,how would it rust...there would have had been water in the tank in order for it to rust? and there was some . thats why i took all the gas out and put new gas in with a bottle of dry gas. i appreciate all imput

Gas with ethanol absorbs water from the air. If you have a tank that is less than 3/4 full and sits for any length of time it will absorb water from the air. Ethanol is also very hard on seals and gaskets.

I would suggest installing a fuel/water separator and filter, even if you end up fixing or replacing your tank.

There are some products available for cleaning and coating the inside of a tank, but I'm pretty sure you'd still have to remove it to adequately coat the whole inside. If you decide you need to open the floor to get to it you'd probably be better off replacing it and being done with it.