getting rid of rust

scottn83

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i searched for evapo-rust on the forum and found a few posts that where just suggestions so thought i would post a before and after pic of a bolt i put in the stuff. I also got some rings unstuck form some pistons with this stuff i think it is great. It is a bit pricey but not to bad. The bad thing about it is it could get expensive if you want to get the rust off something big because the part has to be completely submersion in the stuff and left for at least a day if it is very bad. If you are creative you can do things like i saw on a car restoration forum they had a long shaft that was rusty and put it in an old fire hose put the part in and filled it full of evapo rust to make sure it is completely submerged. Any way just thought i would put this out so people looking for a good rust remover this is one for sure.

Attachments

• IMG_20111126_142844.jpg
    IMG_20111126_142844.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20111130_172634.jpg
    IMG_20111130_172634.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Re: getting rid of rust

Automotive restoration is a hobby of mine, so rust is something that I am aware of.

here are some helpful links to tips: http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/#rust

I myself use a 20:1 ratio of water and muriatic acid. soak the parts in the solution for a few days, then hit with the pressure washer. followed by a neutralizing spray of soda ash and water, then paint. the muriatic acid and water is similar to vinegar just without the pickel smell.

scottn83

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Automotive restoration is a hobby of mine, so rust is something that I am aware of.

I myself use a 20:1 ratio of water and muriatic acid. soak the parts in the solution for a few days, then hit with the pressure washer. followed by a neutralizing spray of soda ash and water, then paint. the muriatic acid and water is similar to vinegar just without the pickel smell.

i know that is an option but they say you can use this with out gloves is totaly
environmentally safe. Plus if there is paint or anything else you dont want to damage it will only attack the rust were acid will eat everything

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

check out the links, covers electrolysis. Electrolysis is a line of sight process that works on things that have a direct line of site between the anode and cathode.

I have done the mild acid mix for years without gloves, like I stated, same concentration as vinegar, then when I am done, I sprayed it on my garden to drop the PH

Tahorover

Chief Petty Officer

OHH Please! It's High School chemistry and you think Hydrochloric acid and acidic acid are the same! Read up on hydrogen embrittlement.

http://www.fastenal.com/content/feds/pdf/Article - Embrittlement.pdf

fisherguy123

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have used it on old tools and fittings with no problems...it only attacks the corrosion.....the size of the item is only limited by the container I would assume ....although i don`t think I would soak a rusty car in the swimming pool....lol...bets thing is to experiment a bit with an old similar item you aren`t too concerned about.

scottn83

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have used it on old tools and fittings with no problems...it only attacks the corrosion.....the size of the item is only limited by the container I would assume ....although i don`t think I would soak a rusty car in the swimming pool....lol...bets thing is to experiment a bit with an old similar item you aren`t too concerned about.

No pool needed Saw a pic of a guy that had a thing set up he used a water house sprinkler with a little pump and put plastic down to catch the stuff and pump back over the panel he was working on keeping the panel wet all the time I didnt study it but it looked like it was working lol