1990 25HP wouldn't start in extreme cold

samato

Cadet
Hello,

1990 Johnson 25HP, Rope Start

Not that I will be running this engine in this cold of temp again, but yestereday while duck hunting my outboard would not fire at the boat ramp. Temps were in the low teens. It acted like no spark, but I didn't not check as I was frustrated and we went on to find another area to hunt without the boat. At noon when I got home the motor started on the first pull. What should I check or change for these colder conditions. A different spark plug? Season is probably over now as there are 6inches of snow out there today and everthing is froze up. Just curious is all.

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1990 25HP wouldn't start in extreme cold

Temperature will have little effect on a motor except for the fact that you wouldn't be spinning the motor as fast as you would in warmer temps. Fuel is just as volatile in cold temps as in hot temps, and your ignition is all electronic so the motor should act almost the same. The rubber fuel primer bulb will be stiffer and harder to squeeze so that may have an effect on starting, and, if you have any moisture in the fuel system at all, that alone will ruin your hunting. But, the motor itself will react only slightly to colder temps.