Inspecting Pressure Tank

sludgeguy68

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Been waiting to come across a cheap pressure tank to see if my 53 rude will even start up, but I'm getting impatient... found one for $60 local and I'd be willing to take a look. I've never really seen/inspected one in person - what problems or tell tale signs of a bad tank can I look for when buying one, other than rust on the inside? Is there a way to test the tank without hooking it up to a motor?

kbait

Commander
Re: Inspecting Pressure Tank

A quick test to see if it holds pressure is to dump 1/2 gallon of fresh gas in, seal the cap and shake. Should build enough pressure to 'whoosh' when you slowly open the cap. And now that there's some fuel in there, you can push open the 'fuel' side of the connector w/a golf tee, or piece of plastic, and pump the primer to see if fuel comes out, and doesn't come out at the primer button. If all that tests, it should be good to go, although you may need to replace the orings in the connector if they're hard/cracked. Good luck!

GTS225

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I picked up one of those tanks for a song at a farm auction. Got it home and emptied out, thought it was horribly rusted inside. Once it finally dried out well, I discovered it was fuel/oil deposits from over the years of use/abuse. I suggest you take along something long enough to scrape at what you might see as rust.

Roger

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Because of their age, most will have a "minimal" amount of rust inside. You may see a few spots here and there, but it should not be ALL rust. 95% on the inside bottom should be shiny. The bottom on the outside should show no rust at all. A rust spot on the outside could signal an impending hole.

So, now you found one that meets that criteria. Forget about "testing" it. Its guaranteed to not be 100% condition because of the age, unless it was rebuilt in the past few years. So plan on replacing all of the o-rings and gaskets, and of course the hose. The kit is only about 20 bucks and 2-line hose is a couplabucks a foot.

Google Laings Outboards in Tonawanda, NY. He sells the kits and the hose. He'll even sell you a tank and it will be a servicable one. I got my first from him and it was less than $60. Since then I have bought 5 more, and never paid more than $5 at garage sales.