40 hp evinrude carb settings

I just bought a 1998 evinrude out of a junkyard it had a good powerhead that i needed, power trim and tilt, and a good lower unit. a lucky score!! anyway i tested the powerhead and it had 120 and 123 psi in the cylinders. i was wondering if anyone knows how to set the carbs on these motors? any help would be greatly appreciated!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: 40 hp evinrude carb settings

The way the service manual says. It is called "link & sync" if you start from scratch. If the throttle linkage, timing advance, and carb settings are not done in the proper sequence you end up chasing yourself. This is a multi-page procedure and far too detailed to go into here. However, if you are at the point in this process where the "idle mixture" needs adjusting, then adjust the top carb screw "in" until the engine gags, then back it "out" until the engine gags. Happiness is somewhere in between. Repeat for the lower carb and then tweak the top and bottom again, resetting idle SPEED after each adjustment. Idle mixture settings are sensitive. Turn those screws in very small increments and wait 15 - 30 seconds for the engine to stabilize before adjusting again. You are looking for smoothest idle with no lag when throttle is advanced sharply. And lastly - do this with the engine in the water, not on muffs. Backpressure thing you know!!!!