Suzuki DF70 shutting down at higer speeds

Bob1Crab

Cadet
I have a 2006 Suzuki DF70 that shuts down before full throttle around 5000 RPM. Had it serviced by Suzuki mechanic who couldn't duplicate the problem but still did a full service and replaced water pump, put on new prop, and drained old fuel. Motor worked fine first 2 times out but started doing same thing again 3rd time. No over rev or temp lights come on, unlike the first time when it happened. Fuel shouldn't be the issue, using small tank with fresh ethanol free fuel. Once motor shuts down (not idle down, completely shuts off) it will start again after 30-60 seconds and run at idle speed. I'm going to let the mechanic have it again but any feedback is appreciated.

Inducted

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Suzuki DF70 shutting down at higer speeds

Make the technician water test your boat. He should first check to see if you have fuel issue. Fuel pressure gauge to moniter fuel when the issue occurs OR do you have an ignition issue OR overheat or some other sensor issue? Suzuki diag. test equipment should be able to tell.

Bob1Crab

Cadet

thanks, that's what was done first time around by the Suzuki tech. I will mention the ignition and sensors when I bring it back again.

robert graham

Admiral

Well it sure sounds like a fuel flow/restriction problem. Maybe start at tank pick-up and work through the entire fuel delivery system for a restriction or air leak. Good Luck!

Hey Bob,
I'm in Ormond Beach. I have a 2005 Suzuki DF70 on a Sea Fox 160FF and was wondering if you ever found a solution to why your motor was shutting down? Took mine out today after fixin' it up since September 2011. Had gas tank drained and all filters replaced. Impeller replaced too. Took off North from Seabreeze bridge and before I made it to Granada bridge the rpm's just kept getting lower and lower. It would only top out at around 4600 rpm (with the current) I think I've read on here where it's supposed to be in the 5200-5800 rpm range (?) It topped out at 30 mph. When I went to throttle up it just kinda bogged. I shut it off for a few minutes, restarted and ran it back to the Seabreeze bridge and it did the same thing on the way back. The rpm's just faded away. BTW, was your motor actually shutting off or doing what I have described? Appreciate any help, Bill

Ldavidgrover

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Try hooking up a 6 gal tank to it and see if it repeats the same problem

Ldavidgrover

Petty Officer 2nd Class

BOB.. Did you check the VST filter?