Tow vehicle

old jim

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I got rid of the 6.0 diesel guzzler and bought a Toyota Tacoma 6 cil. Now this little truck tows my old Gregor 14 footer just fine, but it is getting harder for me and momma to get in the boat at the dock. Thinking and looking at pontoons in the 16 to 18 foot range. Nuf truck for that length toon?? Regards, Old Jim

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Tow vehicle

If it has the towing package and the trailer has brakes, should not be a problem. May strain on the hills, but that's the norm for most. Rated for 3500.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Your Taco should handle a rig that size okay, but you'll quickly learn that towing a barge is more a matter of mass than weight. They catch a lot of wind. Just something to keep in mind, especially on four lanes with lots of trucks. Also, rick mentioned brakes, but it's unlikely a trailer that size will have them.

tpenfield

Staff member

Read the manual on the vehicle for towing capacity; that's the definitive word. Generally, I would say yes... Weight will be your guiding factor.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

As mentioned, weight is the lesser of two major factors in this case. Pontoons being towed at speeds over 50 MPH become very large barn doors and wind resistance will begin to sap power quickly. Into a headwind doubles the issue. If your trips are short and on secondary roads you will do just fine. High speed hiways and interstates may be problematic.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

I tow my 20 foot toon with a 4 cyl 5 speed chev at 60 with out any problems. and yes it dose drop of a bit on a mountain, but then it gets 18 mpg so i dont mind. and I dont think you would have any problems , and you will love a toon thier just so much more comfortable.

old jim

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes the "Taco" has the towing package, and having towed a 5er for several years I learned to use the engine of the pickup for downhill breaking. Here we have two great lakes with some excellent fishing. Shasta and Whiskeytown lakes. No particular need for driving on I5 for either
one. Thank all of You for your replies. Regards, old Jim

Underblog

Seaman Apprentice

Hey Jim

I used to be the Mayor of Dunsmuir, just north of Lake Shasta. Nice to see someone from the Redding area on these forums! You have some serious hills between Redding and the boat ramp!

old jim

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi Underblod, are you still in this area? Yes long stedy pull fhom Redding to Whiskeytown. As for
Lake Shasta I worry more about the boat ramps than any of the aproaches to the lake.
Dunsmir, a neet little town along the upper Sacramento River. Definately a railroad town.
Regards, old jim

bigdee

Commander

No problem. It will be a piece of cake for that Toyota, they pull like a tractor in 1st gear

cc350

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I tow my 22fter no problem with my Tacoma. With tow package they tow 6500lbs.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

Do yourself a favor and go one size larger on the pontoon--20' or 22'. There's relatively little price difference.

As far as pulling it with a Tacoma, you'd be okay since you've got the 6 cylinder. If you had the 4 cylinder and you were going up to Lake Tahoe (or high mountain lake) regularly, you'd probably need to trade trucks.