Marine Radio

mlsontag

Recruit
I need to replace the radio in my Baja. What is the difference between a marine radio and a car radio? Mine is located in a glove box and my boat is never left in the water. I guess moisture is the issue? Thanks.

r.j.dawg

Ensign
Re: Marine Radio

Most marine units have a non corrosive chassis and coated circuit boards. Some also come with inputs on the rear to connect helm or transom remote controls.

kylejb2663

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Completely agree with R.J.- A lot of the marine units are even full water proof.

I have the Kenwood head unit which is absolutely awesome- it also has two zones so you have the ability to only have 2 speakers on out of the 4.

I also have the Kenwood Remote as well for passengers-http://www.rocktheboataudio.com/html/52799.html

It's a great system though and if you hook you're iPod up to it directly, the head unit flips down so you can put the iPod in a water tight storage pocket.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Aside from what was mentioned already, most are built with the circuit boards mounted on rubber stoppers to help absorb the bumps and slams. More expensive than the average car radio (by about 50%), but well worth it in the long run.

On a side note, I bought Sony marine speakers with polypropylene cones and they still degraded after a year. The second set I bought was available with a lifetime warranty for an additional $10 thru West Marine. Worth that money, too.