Prop Hub Installation

lindy46

Captain
I posted this in the prop forum and got no response, so I'll post it here:

I'm buying a new prop for my 1967 3hp Folding Johnson motor. The 2 blade prop comes with the hub and cushion ring separate from the prop. The seller says it all goes together by hand - doesn't have to be pressed in with a machine. My question is: does the hub need to be glued in? If so, what glue?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Prop Hub Installation

And the answer is no it is not glued in. Don't grease the rubber either. Take a closer look at the hub and ring. See how the splines are rounded, not sharp edges like the outer diameter and prop? There is a purpose for those rounded splines--to let it "hop" or skip over from one groove to the next if you hit a submerged object. That motor was made to run in skinny water with stumps and snags and stuff (sort of assuming you have the weedless drive version). Under normal drive conditions, it won't "hop".

lindy46

Captain
Re: Prop Hub Installation

Thanks F_R. The previous owner must have whacked something pretty good, as they broke off the skeg, sheared the pin and put a good crack in one of the prop blades. Interesting that the blade did not bend at all, and she still runs fine, but I hate to take a chance on a prop with a crack in the blade.