Sunfish Refiberglassing

SunfishSailor

Recruit
Hi I'm an avid sailor and just got my hands on a sunfish that could use some refiberglassing and other minor repairs. First off, I was wondering if I should even attempt this. If possible to do myself then I was wondering what materials would I need? I am very new to boat repairs so any help would be great. Thanks.

SolingSailor

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Sunfish Refiberglassing

I am a believer in the West System of epoxy fabrication and repair. I have completed many projects using their products.
They have everything you need for fiberglass repair.
Best of all, they publish very good instructional material, and provide excellent support if you need extra help.
http://www.westsystem.com

tpenfield

Staff member

What could possibly go wrong?

If you are going to do some fiberglassing, you'll need some fiberglass. If you are just doing the cosmetics, then that would be called gelcoat.

Maybe you could post some pictures of the repair areas? Also, you should google some videos on fiberglassing and fiberglass repair. That will give you an idea of how to do things.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I am quite sure if you post some pics of your new boat and the areas needing repair, you will have a lot of expert advice heading your way in a very short time.

andgott

Master Chief Petty Officer

i've done some fiberglass work on a few Sunfish sailboats- They are fun little boats. The construction of them can make some of the repairs a bit more difficult than on other styles of boat, but certainly not impossible by any means! Post some pics of the damage you are trying to repair, and you'll get more help than you'll ever need ;)

-Andrew