Resto forum posting Etiquette! - please read

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
I have noticed a disturbing trend that I think needs to be addressed. A number of regular posters (and I'm not naming any names) seem to be getting in the habit of posting their advice to threads without reading any of the prior posts. Often times they end up completely repeating advice that has already been given. This can be mildly offensive to those who previously answered and it comes across as "this question won't be properly answered until I bestow my wisdom on it". If a question is asked, I don't care if the first person to answer it has never posted before. Their input is still valued. Everyone's input is valued. If you feel their input is incorrect, by all means, feel free to disagree as long as you politely explain why. If their answer was correct but you'd like to clarify or expand on it, again, be all means feel free to do so, but please try to acknowledge their contribution instead of repeating it.

Thanks

-ezmobee

scipper77

Commander
Re: Resto forum posting Etiquette! - please read

+1

I meant that both to the post ezmobee made and as the preferred method for repeating info already given in a thread. As opinions may vary on the right way to do most anything, I am a big fan of +1'ing good advice. It gives credit to the person who gave the advice and at the same time builds credibility for the idea by showing that it is more than just one persons opinion.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

+1

I meant that both to the post ezmobee made and as the preferred method for repeating info already given in a thread. As opinions may vary on the right way to do most anything, I am a big fan of +1'ing good advice. It gives credit to the person who gave the advice and at the same time builds credibility for the idea by showing that it is more than just one persons opinion.

Okay +1 Very well said.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Hmmmm, EZ has me thinking about some of my posting now...

I am certain that I sometimes jump in with some info that is the same or similar to a previous post. I can see how a quote and/or a +1 would be good practice for me. I'll sometimes use the quote but prolly not as often as I should. I know my intention is surely to add to the conversation rather than be mr. big pants.

Please consider this an open letter of apology if I have in fact been a loser.

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Perhaps we could stick this at the top so it doesn't get lost in the archives? Just a thought.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Should you PM the posters that are in Question so that they may have a little time to think about it ?

I mean .. I see good posters getting the Ban Hammer on them recently ..

YD.

PS. Can I totally disagree with the thread/post without going into "why" I would not do so and so ?

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Hmmmm, EZ has me thinking about some of my posting now...

I am certain that I sometimes jump in with some info that is the same or similar to a previous post. I can see how a quote and/or a +1 would be good practice for me. I'll sometimes use the quote but prolly not as often as I should. I know my intention is surely to add to the conversation rather than be mr. big pants.

Please consider this an open letter of apology if I have in fact been a loser.

I am definitely PLUS ONE to Jason's comment, and I sincerely apologize to any all concerned if I have been at fault...:redface:
I also +1 this entire etiquette deal, as common courtesy and common sense should be given and expected by all who share this great site...

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Thanks EZ, but it's not just the Restos, it's everywhere. And of course dead threads that rise from the grave. As an aside, can old threads be locked after a certain period like 6 or 12 months? Even the OP should start a new thread if he/she hasn't posted in an old thread for a set time. Sorry if this isn't the place to ask.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

I am definitely PLUS ONE to Jason's comment, and I sincerely apologize to any all concerned if I have been at fault...:redface:
I also +1 this entire etiquette deal, as common courtesy and common sense should be given and expected by all who share this great site...

I think your in the clear m8 :) ..

YD.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I see good posters getting the Ban Hammer on them recently ..

BWT's situation has NOTHING to do with his posting style. It's a whole other matter and has nothing to do with the topic of this thread.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

All forums have their share of problems?like GA_Boater mentioned?old threads that rise up from the graves and of course the topic of this thread as well. Most problems are small and usually just ignored, but sometimes they become large enough to call in some attention.

I don?t think ezmobee has any intentions of taking away from anyone?s posts here, actually just the opposite. I think he?s just trying to keep the post helpful without a lot of repeated information. I think everyone is guilty from time to time of ?scanning? thru and thread and then posting a reply. I know I?ve been guilty of it and had to go back and say ?Yep, sorry my bad?, but I truly hope this isn?t on a regular basis as I try to read the entire post before commenting.

However there are some here that tend to fit the original description in Post #1. Now this is not to say their post wasn?t correct, just that it?s already been covered. I strongly agree with scipper77 in the +1 comment. I know it?s nice to know that more than one fellow boater agrees with what was said, as it makes you more confident in the advice given.

Now to wrap up, I hope this doesn?t start a rash of +1 comments, or make someone not respond for fear of ?Gosh, I hope this isn?t repeating too much?. I really think this is a call for some common courtesy, and a bit more through reading. And I also hope no one is offended by this thread, because again I don?t think this is the reason behind it.

This is a fantastic forum that I really enjoy being a member of. It has among its member some of the best boat builders and repairmen on the planet and I respect everyone?s opinions and words of wisdom here. So lets not take this thread the wrong way and just look upon it as ?Hey, yeah we can improve here?

CW

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I have made my thoughts on this subject known for quite some time. Both on the forum and PM's and Phone calls. Everyone is entitled to their opinions. And I have found there is always going to be someone with more experience or knowledge than the next guy. Take it or leave it. As members of this forum we can only offer the knowledge we have gleaned from our experiences. There will always be those that have had different experiences. As long as it is not a known un-safe practice then I for one always tell the poster it is their boat and they are free to do with it as they see fit. The acknowledgement of others opinions is always a good practice and should be followed.

Outback Jack

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree with what you are saying here ezmobee. I think just repeating what others are saying is just making the threads longer . Another thing I think iboats has to do here is gives the pro's recognition. I am not saying the diy'ers should not be recognized , but a person who has just restored a boat or 2 does not have the experience as to what a pro does. The diyer can show other fellow boaters it is not rocket science , you can jump in and really do this with a little guidance.

I worked at this trade of building and designing fiberglass products for 8 hrs a day for 5 years. I came here asking lot's of questions because I knew products have changed over the years. Myself I give advice now and again, but it is advice from my experience of working with the product . Myself I am no pro by any means hahahaha. Especially in the Repair side of the trade.

Building and Repairing are 2 different trades. Saying that the pro's that do Repairs on a daily basis can say how different products perform after being used and put to the test everyday. The diy'er can't do this side of it. I am sorry. They can say how their experience was, but you have to leave this side of advice to the pros. Just reading something on the internet and repeating what you read is not experience. I did a nice diy' er restore to my old Bronco but I left my Trans Am to the Pro's and you can see the difference in everything. My product did not last .

Just giving my 2 cents and it would probably help out on who is giving sound advice. I find alot of bickering going on between the pros and some who think they are pros.

Cheers

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I think iboats has to do here is gives the pro's recognition.

We discussed this but determined it to not be at all feasible.

Personally I find a DIYer's personal experience with a product to be just as valuable as a pro's recommendation.

My motivation for starting this thread was to try to curb the habit of posters walking all over previously given advice. One extreme example (which I've seen multiple times) is someone coming into to an already page long thread and saying "hey, don't know how I missed this one but this is what you should do....." and then totally repeat advice that's already been given! That's just ignorant and belittles everyone who previously posted.

On a more positive note, just the fact that we have enough people willing to provide input that the aforementioned problem can even exist is pretty cool. This section of the forum has come a LONG way in the past year or two. Used to be if you came in with say a rotted Glassmaster or something, unless someone with another Glassmaster popped up, the thread was usually ......crickets.......

Outback Jack

Petty Officer 1st Class

We discussed this but determined it to not be at all feasible.

Personally I find a DIYer's personal experience with a product to be just as valuable as a pro's recommendation.

My motivation for starting this thread was to try to curb the habit of posters walking all over previously given advice. One extreme example (which I've seen multiple times) is someone coming into to an already page long thread and saying "hey, don't know how I missed this one but this is what you should do....." and then totally repeat advice that's already been given! That's just ignorant and belittles everyone who previously posted.

On a more positive note, just the fact that we have enough people willing to provide input that the aforementioned problem can even exist is pretty cool. This section of the forum has come a LONG way in the past year or two. Used to be if you came in with say a rotted Glassmaster or something, unless someone with another Glassmaster popped up, the thread was usually ......crickets.......
I see where you are coming from ezmobee and agree 100% about us diy'ers . I guess my thing about the diy'er versus the pro is in a critical repair like a major breach in the hull and the proper way to repair it versus just a I used this and repaired it and it is working fine, but is it safe is the biggest question is where the pros could give sound advice. Sorry for the confusion. For sure this forum has alot of good info and has helped me . It is number 1.

Cheers

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I have seen and experienced the work of Pro's (someone who gets paid to do the job) and I have seen and experienced the work of DIY'ers (someone who does the work for himself, i.e. friscoboater, archbuilder etc..) IMHO there is not much difference. And in some cases the DIY'er does much better work than the so called Pro. Just because you get paid to do something does not make you a Pro at it. IMO the quality of your work makes you a pro. friscoboater could hang a shingle to do boat repair and probably make a very good living at it if he chose to do so. Experience and the desire to do quality work is what it's all about in my opinion. That's what makes this forum so good. We have a mixture of all of it, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. It is up to each and every individual to sort it all out and in the end do what he thinks best for his given circumstance. We have a thread on here right now, where an iBoat member is having to do a total restore on his boat AFTER a so called Pro did a restore on the boat. Like momma always said, the Proof is in the Pudding!!! That's the 2? worth or a dumb old okie.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

+1 ^^

It appears +1 is too short, it won't accept it, you need to add the period or something else for it to post.

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Sometimes I ask a question and look for repeat responses...I get 2 sides, some say yes, some say no...if i get a resounding (multiple posts) say yes or no then that is likely the direction I want to go, not that I always listen lol. Needless to say I have had that issue myself where suddenly 400 posts later someone gives me a recommendation on a problem LONG since solved, I just try to overlook those, Without the advice I have received on this forum from both DIYer and Pro alike, I would never feel as confident as I do when i take a grinder and start cutting a hole in my boat. I like to post in some threads, just personal experience so far, what I may have found I did that just made the job harder than it ever should have been and such, and I am a culprit of not reading the entire post on long posts, i browse those and only try to comment on the more current question at hand. What will be, will be. I guess by responding, I have probably inadvertently said the same thing someone else did, so don't flog me!

LonLB

Petty Officer 1st Class

I very well may have done the mentioned offense.....

I don't think anyone does it on purpose, or to walk over other advise. It's just some threads "blow up" in a day or two, and it's pretty time consuming to go back and read several pages of posts.

Where as, if something is posted that is repeated information, it can be scanned right over, and ignored in a matter of seconds.

Just my thoughts.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

lon has a correct point....and +1 only works if you are multi quoting, or the next post.....on a hot thread, many posters might be typing at the same time.
don s sees this all the time in the engine forums.....however....in those cases....mostly it is black or white. not where there are many ways to skin a cat.

i am the worst at the mentioned infractions. i apologize if i stepped on any one. or hurt any ones feelings. this is not my intent. i will try to re vamp my writing style.

there are occasions where the posters are just being led in the wrong directions. or are about to do something that will cause them time and money for nothing.
SBL and a recent metal thread come to mind. lets not go near the "V" thing

BUT what do you suggest EZ?....talk to us bud. how can we improve? use pm if necessary.

ward