Marine stereos that store presets in non-volatile memory??

burgessm84

Cadet
I've been looking for a stereo that does NOT require a hard wired connection to the battery in order to remember station presets and am having no luck at all.
I'm just looking for suggestions/recommendations on specific stereo makes/models that can store the presets without requiring a constant power source.
This seems like the most basic requirement for any stereo that wants to call itself "marine". Given the ridiculously low cost of flash memory, it's baffling how this isn't standard these days.

I did try searching here, found a ton of threads, and read a bunch of them. They all seem to be about how to wire the stereo and on the pros/cons of keeping your radio permanently connected to the battery to save your presets. There are lots of opinions on this, but I believe the best practice on a boat is to use a battery switch to disconnect everything (except the bilge pump) when you're not around. The potential for a sunk boat because your battery is dead negates the "it works for cars" and "they draw very little current" arguments.

Thanks,
Mike

chumstain

Cadet
Re: Marine stereos that store presets in non-volatile memory??

ive been looking for one also no luck i did get a battery from an exit sign at work and use that just for the mem wire and havent had any trouble yet
let me know if you find a good radio

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

I have a solergizer unit just for the quiescent current loads such as radio memory and the 2-3% self discharge of the batteries. the other choice is a separate battery for the memory.

jamoke

Cadet

Most of the Jensen Marine stereo's use non-volatile memory for presets and user settings.
They support Ipod's and Sirius sat radio too.

While not the high end, the units are very serviceable and dependable. Shop around.

Link to Jensen Direct

burgessm84

Cadet

Thanks Jamoke - I'll check out the Jenson site.