Force 120 - Aftermarket Starters any good?

buzzbomber

Seaman Apprentice
I've been looking around for a new starter for my force (120 1998). Saw some from db electric for around 80 and one from ems for 130. I think the OEM is around 200.

Anyone have any recommendations or experience with the aftermarket stuff?

chrome dome

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Force 120 - Aftermarket Starters any good?

that may depend on where you are..
just bought one (120 Chrysler ) from the U.S. and have to send it back,
don't fit between brackets, thread is different..
may not affect you though

RRitt

Captain

I don't know starters exactly but I do know trim motors. The same companies make both. I would guess that the quality and durability of starters mimics that of trim motors.
ARCO and SIERRA have always been as good as original.

API overlooked some basic tolerances with their Force trim motor.
The mistake is so basic and simple that I question the quality of their engineering staff.

The chinese stuff is good value in a disposable format. If you intend to keep your boat for more than 5-7 years then it is probably not as good of a value. The ARCO stuff may cost 50% more but it will last 2x longer.

have you considered having your existing starter rebuilt at an auto electric shop. You should be able to get US quality at chinese price.

fucawi

Banned

If you are going to crank and crank and crank because your OB motor is a bad starter then no starter motor is going to last

buzzbomber

Seaman Apprentice

I'm looking at buying a new one then probably rebuilding the current one myself and using it as a spare.

The wiring inside the starters bad and needs to be redone. It's been rebuilt once before but not professionally and the guy did a poor job.

buzzbomber

Seaman Apprentice

*Deleted*

Last edited: