Lower Unit attachement

Baghs

Cadet
Okay, I have replaced my pump in my lower unit. Went smooth, placed the unit back on without too much trouble. I followed the instructions and placed the shift into forward before and after removal. On instalation I did have to move the prop a little to get aligned. Went to check the shift and it wont go back into neutral. What did I do wrong and how do I fix it?<br />Thanks

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: Lower Unit attachement

Is the shift coupler (on the drive), engaged to the shift coupler (on the gimbal ring)?

jeff13601

Chief Petty Officer

You are probably going to have to take it back off and make sure the shift slide, cable and couplers are where they are suppose to be

jamesr1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

was the shifter in full forward position?

jamesr1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

sorry, dont know how I missed it...

Baghs

Cadet

Okay, I have taken it off and put back on several times now. I don't know what when wrong? I don't know what or where the shift coupler on the drive or gimbile ring are...or at least I don't know that's what they are...when I took it off the second time I noticed the shift arm was in the wrong place, so I put it in the wright place...so I thought...controls were smooth so I ran it...heard grinding noise...and shut down...noticed that I did in fact have the arm in the wrong direction the second time. Took off again, made sure it was in forward gear and placed everything right as far as I know. Still shifter is hard and doesn't move well. When I take it out of forward the drive goes to neutral and wont go into forward or reverse after. The shifter will but the unit wont. I can manually put it there but not with the shifter. Is this a possible cable adjustement or did I screw something up big time? I am taking to shop tomorrow so I guess I am about to get it good....but if anyone has any ideas on what I should be looking to hear from the shop I would like to hear from you. There goes the july 4th weekend...

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Did you leave out the washer that sits on top of the shift shaft, when you put the lower and upper cases together? If you did not you will have excessive up & down play. If you did not make sure the lower was in fwd and the shift lever facing fwd you got it wrong. The little arm thing that is just below the U-joints is the shift shaft lever. When you turn the prop shaft ccw,this part must face foreward, you will feel the prop engage. If it does not you got it wrong. Hope this helps..J

Baghs

Cadet

J.kpec<br />Thanks for the tips...I can get it in forward using the shaft, for instance when if I were to put pliers on the little arm and turn it with or without the lower unit attached it will go into gear. However, when I use the shifter at the helm it is tight and hard to move, and when it does move it takes the unit out of forward and into neutral. If I move the shifter at the helm to forward or reverse from the helm after this it will stay in neutral. It seems as though it doesn't take alot to back it out of gear. I noticed when I was installing the unit, one of many times today the slightest movement from the shaft would put it in neutral. Not sure if this is from my first mistake or I am still doing something wrong. Anyway guys I screwed it up, I am blaming this on the seloc book of course for not cleary describing the damn little arm thing. I am to good to make a mistake on my own LOL.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Are you saying that the upper part is still on the boat? If the upper is on the boat then.....You are only dropping the lower gaer case? Then you need to turnprop ccw AND the small shaft clockwise at the same time till they engage. This is foreward in the lower gear case. You may need to turn the prop shaft ccw to make them mate properly. You cannot allow the lower gear case to come out of gear while doing this. They will engage easily when you have it right . DO NOT FORCE THEM TOGETHER! Hope THIS helps...J