At ? temp.should thermister be tripping to sound alarm on my 88spl and how to test

toddschubert

Chief Petty Officer
For those not familiar I had a problem where one bank 1&3 running hot. I caught it in time by my normal post trip routine before any damage could occur with my infrared therm. I wonder why I never heard an alarm. Durring testing it had reached 200 deg and no alarm.
Can I just ground the wire to test the cirkt?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: At ? temp.should thermister be tripping to sound alarm on my 88spl and how to tes

Turn the key on, disconnect one of the wires going to the temp senders and ground out the wiring harness side of the wire. You should get an over heat alarm.

toddschubert

Chief Petty Officer
Re: At ? temp.should thermister be tripping to sound alarm on my 88spl and how to tes

Well it worked so at least i know the alarm ckt is good. Although my alarm is cold and sounds like a dying bird.
Ill try putting sender in hot water and ohming it out. I would think it should have sounded at 200 deg.
Thanks boobie

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

That is not a sensor and not a thermistor. It is a simple temp activated switch that completes a circuit when the temp exceeds about 205? or so. I don't have a manual handy but the temp is close.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

seahorse is right on. For a 1990 crossflow: The switch activates at 203, plus or minus 6 degrees. Probably why you did not hear a horn. Once the horn sounds, it will not silence till the cyl head temp goes back down to 170 degrees, plus or minus 15 degrees. Grounding the switch will tell you that the horn turns on-but does not confirm at what temperature. Your boiling test (with a liquid thermometer) will validate the actual temp at which the switch turns on/off.

toddschubert

Chief Petty Officer

Got it guys. All is in working order.
Thanks for the help!!!!!