3.0l 120hp mercruiser to chevy 350 marine swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

jalaska907

Cadet
my boat is currently set up with the 120hp 3.0l and the pre alpha 120hp outdrive, my queston is i have a complete marine 350 chevy, and i was wondering if i could swap the engines and keep the same outdrive, with changing gear ratios?

NHGuy

Captain
Re: 3.0l 120hp mercruiser to chevy 350 marine swap

No, you will want to change the drive or your 5.7 motor will over rev. There aren't props available for the speed the propshaft will turn. What is the boat you are contemplating doing this for.

Or are you wanting to change the drive ratio yourself? It is not a do it yourself job.

thumpar

Admiral

The 3.0 should be a 140 unless you have a 2.5, those are 120 rated. If your current motor is good you are better off just selling it and buying a boat that has a bad 350 and installing that. A boat that has a 120 in it would never be rated for a 350 and even if you wanted to make it fit would need lots of work.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

The other thing to consider is you would be adding close to 350 pounds to the stern of your boat.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

complete marine 350 chevy, ........
with changing gear ratios?
If complete means pan to carb and w/p to flywheel, then yes, if you switch to a 1.5 ratio upper or whole outdrive.
You will need a Y pipe for the exhaust, and you will need to add the power steering components if your current unit doesn't have p/s.

Aside from the obvious concerns about width in the engine bay, and added weight and doubling the power in the hull and possible safety issues, the transom and gimbal assembly is the same between 120/130HP inline 4 GM engines and Chevy V8's, so the swap is pretty straight forward.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i was wondering if i could swap the engines and keep the same outdrive, with changing gear ratios?

Yes, you need to go to a 1.50 ratio, the 3.0L uses a 1.98 ratio. Props can't come close to fixing that problem.

jalaska907

Cadet

The boat is a late 60's early 70's Marlin that is about 16ft all fiberglass, it runs decent, need all new interior, im a gear head that enjoys building over powered toys. The concerns about adding 350 pounds isnt really a concern to me beacuse im planing on making the boat carry maybe 4 people instead of six, aluminum intake and head. and adding a ballast tank in the front. My plan is too build a retro mod boat to pull tubes and skis. The 2.5 or 3.0, isnt enough to pull out of corners, as far as changing a gear set out, im pretty sure i could handle it. Im a diesel, and high performance tech by trade, just new to the outdrive world. The 350 engine i have has everything from pan to carb, and exhaust manifolds, and water resivoir. Any Ideas, suggestions, comments, or parts location would be awso,e help and much appriciated.

thumpar

Admiral

I have no problem pulling a wakeboard or tube all day long with my 120 in a 16.5'. We pull 2 tubes most of the time still no problem. Unless you have a problem with your motor it should do what you want.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

I have no problem pulling a wakeboard or tube all day long with my 120 in a 16.5'. We pull 2 tubes most of the time still no problem. Unless you have a problem with your motor it should do what you want.

He's a rev-head, and unless it can do 700 knots, he'll complain all day long... So let's help him get this madness out of his system. :D

The boat is a late 60's early 70's Marlin that is about 16ft all fiberglass, it runs decent, need all new interior, im a gear head that enjoys building over powered toys. The concerns about adding 350 pounds isnt really a concern to me beacuse im planing on making the boat carry maybe 4 people instead of six, aluminum intake and head. and adding a ballast tank in the front. My plan is too build a retro mod boat to pull tubes and skis. The 2.5 or 3.0, isnt enough to pull out of corners, as far as changing a gear set out, im pretty sure i could handle it. Im a diesel, and high performance tech by trade, just new to the outdrive world. The 350 engine i have has everything from pan to carb, and exhaust manifolds, and water resivoir. Any Ideas, suggestions, comments, or parts location would be awso,e help and much appriciated.

Ok... First thing you are going to need to find out is if anyone else has done what you are planning to do... If they have, find out how the extra weight and speed affected the boat. Did it try to chine-walk at speed, that's the main concern. If you are not experienced at handling boats at high speed, then a chine-walk will kill you...

For that engine in that boat I would recommend you have a serious look at changing the ratio not to 1.5 but to 1.32, mount the gimbal housing 2" to 4" above 'standard' installation height, and have through-hull water pick ups. Then start looking at surface piecing propellers, because you're going to be going way over the blow-out speed of most fully submerged props. You'll also need to look into either dual cable steering or the old 'rope' steering system, and you'll need to have a very close look at the gimbal ring-to-steering arm. They are notorious for getting wear in them and you'll end up with very sloppy steering. Not a good look at more than 40 knots! :eek: I'd also look at trim tabs to control porpoising...

If you are going to change the gears in the drive, you are going to need the shimming tools. No, there is no other way of setting up the gear heights and backlash without them!

I hope you have deep pockets, 'cause this is all going to be very $pendy....

Chris.......

jalaska907

Cadet

Considering the fact that i have about 500.00 into the boat with trailer, and already have the 350 marine complete that runs for free, i dont believe its going to cost much more, plus im good at finding deals. Ive seen plenty of boats with 350, 400, 454, 302, 351, combos in them and they do great. my biggest concern was if the outdrive i had would bolt up, ive already figured out that im going to have to add stringers and change the engine bay around.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

.... my biggest concern was if the outdrive i had would bolt up,....

You will need to change the yoke on the drive. The one used for the in-line engines is 1-1/2" shorter than the one for the V8s....

jalaska907

Cadet

another thing i was wondering was if my 120hp outdrive could even handle 350hp?

thumpar

Admiral

The only difference between a alpha on a 120 and 350 is the gear ratio. The drive can handle it but you will either overrev the motor or be going slow at the proper RPM with the ratio that is in the 120 drive.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

handle 350hp?
a typical stock Mercruiser 5.7 engine makes 260HP, not 350
The 120HP outdrive is supposedly good to about 300HP, but that is moot because at that ratio, one would need a 7 ton barge to test the durability.
The lower half of your drive is good to 300HP and could be used with a 5.7. You only need to change the upper half of the drive to get the V8 ratio, whether you are going to 1.5 or 1.32
an SEI upper would be a cost effective way to convert the drive and would address the driveshaft length issue in the process (SEI does not make a 1.32 ratio upper though, only 1.5 for V8's)
ebay is the place to get any other parts you need e.g. power steering.

Kja4555

Recruit

He's a rev-head, and unless it can do 700 knots, he'll complain all day long... So let's help him get this madness out of his system. :D

Ok... First thing you are going to need to find out is if anyone else has done what you are planning to do... If they have, find out how the extra weight and speed affected the boat. Did it try to chine-walk at speed, that's the main concern. If you are not experienced at handling boats at high speed, then a chine-walk will kill you...

For that engine in that boat I would recommend you have a serious look at changing the ratio not to 1.5 but to 1.32, mount the gimbal housing 2" to 4" above 'standard' installation height, and have through-hull water pick ups. Then start looking at surface piecing propellers, because you're going to be going way over the blow-out speed of most fully submerged props. You'll also need to look into either dual cable steering or the old 'rope' steering system, and you'll need to have a very close look at the gimbal ring-to-steering arm. They are notorious for getting wear in them and you'll end up with very sloppy steering. Not a good look at more than 40 knots! :eek: I'd also look at trim tabs to control porpoising...

If you are going to change the gears in the drive, you are going to need the shimming tools. No, there is no other way of setting up the gear heights and backlash without them!

I hope you have deep pockets, 'cause this is all going to be very $pendy....

Chris.......
I very much created an account just to reply to you. I've seen your name pop up on 2 different threads shooting down people's ideas of engine swaps or re powering in some form. Im very much a gearhead by nature and am in the same boat as this guy. The 120/140 Mercs are lazy, underpowered boat anchors. 4 people in a boat doesn't even pull me fast enough to comfortably slalom in a 18ft boat. They only weigh 150ish less than a 302 ford and any aluminum heads would make up a good chunk of that. So why does the boat community have to be so lazy and straight edged? Why is 50mph just so scary to you with a 250hp v8? I've got a 21 footer with a 5.0 Merc that pushes 45-50 fully submerged prop and alpha one and it drives straight as an arrow. V hull. So what's the big deal about a v8 18ft V hull going 45 with a pre alpha? It most defenitly won't take flight at that speed and weight, 300ftlbs and 250hp most defenitly won't over power the boat. 45 most definitely isn't uncomfortable or unsafe for a similar shaped v hull. And a 4.3 merc is a common go to but has that similar 200hp output capable of pushing the same speed and only weighing a fraction less. Sure the v8 isn't the best all around option but they're cheap and easy to fix so why not? Let me hear the story of how you wrecked your v8 swapped boat, the saying is you can't knock it till you try it. So where's your 120/140 V8 swapped Merc and Pre alpha on a V hull? How much did it cost you? Did you buy all the parts or did you already have them? What boat? What outdrive? What kind of stringer support? What's the transom work look like? Where'd you source the yoke? How'd you route the y? What kind of through hull water inlet? Any cooling system mods? What was your top speed? What ratio drive? What prop? Stainless or cast? How many years did you have the boat? What kind of waters? Etc. Tell me how you are so sure it won't work without "deep pockets" like you claim. Give me proof you've first hand done this or seen this in your grasp and that it has failed for any reason other than poor execution.

Status
Not open for further replies.