1965 Starcraft Cheiftain Interior Restoration

CraigBarnard

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well winter is almost here so the interior refurbishing is getting started.
The "Rip & Tear" stage is the most fun. :)
Removing the old rotten floor boards and relocating the door to the center so I can have two pilot seats side by side.
Hopefully also open up some room for some additional seating.
Considering how badly rotten the wood was it was surprisingly difficult to remove.
Found some old tin pieces nailed to the floor with roofing nails under the carpet. I assume a lame attempt at providing some solid footing.
Also found a nice flashlight!! Freebie!

DSC01395.jpgDSC01404.jpgDSC01396.jpgDSC01393.jpgDSC01394.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1965 Starcraft Cheiftain Interior Restoration

The forum software only allows 6 pics per post and smilies count as pics.

Looking good, I'll be watching this one.

jetstreakdave

Petty Officer 3rd Class

you have some nice pics, very scenic

elkhunter338

Master Chief Petty Officer

I assume that is the same boat in the picture. Have you fished with this boat much?
I just saw both fuel tanks in the stern and my cheif has the tanks just to the stern of the cabin wall, I would not want the stern any heavier than it is. But I have a kicker motor in the back.
Wondering if you thought about moving those fuel tanks forward?
Keep us posted with pictures.
What type of floor you putting back in?
I added some alum angle beneath my floor which gave me a larger area to attach the floor too. I bolted the angle to the two center struts, and rivited angle along the sides.

CraigBarnard

Petty Officer 1st Class

I assume that is the same boat in the picture. Have you fished with this boat much?
I just saw both fuel tanks in the stern and my cheif has the tanks just to the stern of the cabin wall, I would not want the stern any heavier than it is. But I have a kicker motor in the back.
Wondering if you thought about moving those fuel tanks forward?
Keep us posted with pictures.
What type of floor you putting back in?
I added some alum angle beneath my floor which gave me a larger area to attach the floor too. I bolted the angle to the two center struts, and rivited angle along the sides.

Hmmm moving the fuel tanks!! Thats a great idea. Had not occured to me to do that but this would be the perfect time to do so.
However what do I do about the fill ports at the stern?
The floor is going back in in three sections. Going to leave the center section so that its removable maybe with something like this.

View attachment 123632

I was also going to build some type of reinforcement with aluminum angle as well to help support the floor.

elkhunter338

Master Chief Petty Officer

My fill for the tanks is located along each side, in the top of the side rail, so you will have to cut new holes in the top of the boat, the vent is also forward of the tank.
Depending on your interior design you might keep the fill cap inside the boat and just move the vent. I have seen larger boats with the fill cap inside.
I think I used 1.5" angle x 1/8" and 1/4" stainless steel bolts to bolt the angle into the existing runners every foot or so.
I also used stainless machine bolts to bolt the floor down instead of rivits. So far it has worked great.
If you drill the right size hole in the alum with some grease on the bolt it will self thread through the alum. you can do a test and see how it works. I personally would use this method again.
Have fun.

CraigBarnard

Petty Officer 1st Class

The idea of moving the tanks forward sounds like a great idea. Move the weight forward plus improve seating capacity.
However I do not want to put any more holes in this boat.
Would extending the filler necks and vents, possibly with aluminum piping be a major NO NO in the marine world?
It would be simple enough to do and easy to hide in the gunnels.
As long as there is enough drop in the line to prevent pooling I cant see it being an issue.