S/N Clarification

hhornig

Seaman Apprentice
I am new to the I/O engine and just received a service manual number 25 and noted that it is for 6 different models of 4.3L engines. The Alpha and Bravo are obvious and so is the EFI designation. What does the "H" designate? Also, what does the serial number in the manual mean?

Incidentally, my model, as shown on the flame arrestor, is:

Model MCM 4.3 Liter
262 CID
Engine S/N 0L381323

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: S/N Clarification

Same basic engine, just rated different. Here is what is stated in the manual.
There is some added plumbing and carb changes to allow the engine to pass the Swiss emissions tests.

2 Power Rated in Accordance with SAV1 rating procedures. This rating procedure is used to certify that the
engine complies with ?Stage 1? Bodensee and Swiss Regulations. Horsepower differences shown result from
differences in test rpm, allowable test tolerances, and/or installation of special kit components.

Also, what does the serial number in the manual mean?

Not sure what SN you are referring to, or where you seen it in the manual. Got a page number?

hhornig

Seaman Apprentice

It is the page before page 1. It describes the models covered in the manual and it gives a serial number for each of the 6 models covered.

Don S

It gives a serial number RANGE for each model covered in the manual. Not individual serial numbers.
Your particular serial number is for a 4.3L not an LH but the ranges may be the same.

hhornig

Seaman Apprentice

I am not sure I follow. Wouldn't the range be a lower number and an upper number? If it is a true mathmatical range it would be the number of units produced, but would be of little value to the manual user.

Don S

Scan the page and post the picture so we can see what you are seeing.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

I am not sure I follow. Wouldn't the range be a lower number and an upper number? If it is a true mathmatical range it would be the number of units produced, but would be of little value to the manual user.

Under 'Models covered' you will have a list of the engine models that are covered by that manual, along with the serial numbers of those engine. It would look like -> '0L123456 to 0M299999', or '0M300000 and above'...

The purpose (hence, 'value to the manual user') of this list is to ensure you are using the right manual for the engine you are working on.

Does this clear it up for you?

Chris......

Don S

Those are the starting numbers of the range. The manual is from 99, but was used on all the 4.3L engines through 2001. They couldn't put an ending SN because they didn't know when there would be major changes.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Untitled3.jpg
    Untitled3.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 0