Trim Issues on mercury 850 thunderbolt

bennyhaydock

Recruit
hey guys,

ive got a problem with my power trim, up until recently it had been working fine... but now i can trim down but cant trim up.. when i press the trim up button i just get a clicking noise from the pump.. i have checked all wiring from the pump to battery and foward controls, there are ok. i dont think it is fluid because the motor holds when u trim down. i just get a clicking noise instead of "whirrr" when i try to trim up. is it the pump? solenoid?

if any one could shed some light on the matter it would be much appreciated.

thanks
jason

Ballymac

Seaman
Re: Trim Issues on mercury 850 thunderbolt

You can test the solenoid by swapping the wires. Blue is usually up & green down. Just swap the heavy wires from the trim motor to the solenoids. By the way can you trailer up? If so, forget the test, solenoid and motor is fine - trim limit switch is the issue.

Part-time

Chief Petty Officer

If you're getting a "click" your switch is working and sending the power to the solenoid.
Next step is to figure out if the solenoid is good or not. One of the two bigger post is from the battery, the other to the electric motor.
Put a test light on the batery side just to make sure and then check if the test light comes on on the other post when the switch is pushed to trim up.
If your light comes on then... the solenoid is good.

merc850

Commander

Here's the wiring diagram for the "in boat" pumppower-trim-wiring.jpg

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Some systems had a trailer button.(all the way up) im guessing,for when your on the road.
Check all connections are good and try again.Sounds like your solenoid is shot.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Jason the older PTT systems had a three button control panel. Pressing the middle button should trim the motor, if the trim limit switch is good (probably not likely). Pushing middle and top button is to tilt (trailer) the motor, and will work for triming as well. Do you still have the orig controls?

Bypass the solenoid and see if the trim pump motor works.

bennyhaydock

Recruit

no it is an aftermarked forward controls, and it is only a 2 button control panel..