Steering Problem

alexr254

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello, I am hoping can get some pointers on freeing up my seized steering cables.

I have a 26ft cruiser which has power steering and a 2 engine setup. Just today i decided to start troubleshooting the stuck steering. So i took the power steering completely off from the steering cables to eliminate any issues with the PS cylindar. After removing the PS cylindar moves freely. The cables on the other hand are frozen, it seems the cylindar at the end of the steering line is frozen and no matter what i tried i cant get it to budge. I am now soaking it in kerosine overnight hoping that will help a bit... Any other suggestions?

Besides getting new steering cables... I looked and i cant find the cables i need in any store, since the cables need to have some sort of proprietary attachment to my power steering setup. And the boat is made by a company now OOB.

thanks for any tips!

NHGuy

Captain
Re: Steering Problem

What drive, engine and year do you have? Even better, what serial numbers are on there if it's stern drive.

alexr254

Petty Officer 1st Class

Its 1987 merc 470, with Alpha 1 Gen 1 outdrives.

thanks

alexr254

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just incase I cant get this unstuck by soaking in kerosine, can anyone possibly point me to the type of cable i need?
It says 193 inches (16ft) on the steering cable

I figure if i need to replace the steering cables i will also replace the wheel. But so far all searches i came up with does not have the cables i need that have that part which attaches to the power steering system...

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Alex, based on all the details about what makes your system special................ We have no idea. Get us some pictures...... My gut is that there really isn't anything special about it and you just need a 16' cable.... I've seen two style's at the helm... either a nut that threads to the helm or a groove that allows a lock bolt to capture the cable.

just stop with the kerosene now.... the cable is done... even if you free it it could lock up on you at a really bad time.

alexr254

Petty Officer 1st Class

Its dark out now, i will post the pics tomorrow. I hope your right and i dont have anything special going on there. I would prefer to change the cables of course.

alexr254

Petty Officer 1st Class

This is the bracket on the steering cable which i think is "special". I cant find any with the same attachment... This bracket attaches to the power steering cylindar and is adjustable, but not removable.
Please tell me i am wrong... And if possible show me the way :)
Anyone PLEASE chime in and tell me what i can buy to replace it...

PS. It does not come off, its definately part of the line. Also found out that they are Morse "the rack" control steering.

IMG_0098.jpg IMG_0099.jpg

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

indeed you ARE wrong ;) the silver aluminum nut at the bottom of your "bracket" needs to be unscrewed and then you can take it apart.... btw that MAY be where it is seized.... If you unthread the nut and nothing budges, try turning the steering wheel either way

NHGuy

Captain

If smokeonthewater's method does not work, grab the aluminum nut with one tool and the black painted bronze looking one with another. Rest the whole ram assembly on something sturdy like a 2 x 6, and push the aluminum nut counterclockwise. Once the nut is off it might take a hammer but I bet it comes apart.
If that doesn't work remove the other end of the cable from the helm (steering) end, bring the whole cable to a vise,clamp it up & undo it.

Is smokeonthewater a Deep Purple reference? Gotta be...

alexr254

Petty Officer 1st Class

This thing is stuck bad, and definately needs to be replaced.. well beyond repair for sure. The bracket i guess does not come off due to the cylindar being stuck in the outward position.

We did however manage to remove the steering cable intact, and attempted to hit it even with a sledge hammer for the hell of it.. still not even a budge.. its shot..

Anyway we did get the bracket off, and i found the model number on the cable. I ordered the exact same one and will replace it.

thanks for your help guys

NHGuy

Captain

Maybe you can heat it up and save the parts that don't come with the new cable.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Is smokeonthewater a Deep Purple reference? Gotta be...

"Smoke on the water" is ice fog.... When I first started using that name though I was gonna refit a 26' carver flybridge cruiser with a gm 6.2 diesel and turn it up just enough that it rolled a little black when I hit the throttle.... thus leaving a puff of smoke on the water

O/P hang don't get too crazy beating on stuff till you get the new cable and see what you have to save.... the tube is aluminum and easy to damage... a bit of heat combined with a heavy hand on the steering wheel does wonders... also if you use a hammer don't use a sledge.... a light hammer at high speed will do a MUCH better job with less damage than a heavy hammer at low speed.... you want to shock the parts apart not smash em.

alexr254

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the tips. I did get the new cable in and i need to somehow get that darm pipe off the end of the cable which covers the cylindar, which is basically fused to the cylindar... Its gonna be tough.