65 hp triple

Part-time

Chief Petty Officer
I just had a 65hp triple given to me. (I'd guess mid 70's model # 4262485)
top cyl has 40 psi and the other 2 are at 120 psi.

Are they a PITA to fix, is that old of an engine worth the fixing?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: 65 hp triple

They are good little motor but usually have the same problem all early Merc's have ...rotten wiring harness. If you want a project to fool with go for it but test the distributor before you sink a single dime in it. This motor is rated at 50hp at prop.

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander

Looks like you have a 1975 Mercury model 650

I have the same engine, I bought from a guy that dumped a ton of money into it.

I found that it had a rotten wiring harnes and fixed the engine by cutting out the harness plug going to the external harness and connecting the wires directly.

Parts are available, and you can rebuild the engine if needed

I would start by opening the exaust port cover and checking the condition of the cylinders.

May not hurt to pour some seafoam into the cyl and let it sit for a day or two and check the compression again
It could be as simple as a stuck ring.

A dist cap will run you about $200, and a rotor will run you about $175ish, I would check those to start and confirm they are in good condition (I lucked out with mine, they look almost brand new).

If all else fails, part it out

I'm interested in a spare lower if in good condition. ;)

Part-time

Chief Petty Officer

I know the motor runs. The guy was using it untill it lost power.
I personaly have no use for that motor so I was just trying to figure out if she was worth fixing to sell it or not.

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander

Depending on your area you might get $200 for it as it sits with the low compression on #1

But that pretty much depends if you have someone out there looking for a parts engine, and they would jump on it (I would).

Or if it does not sell you may see $300+ if you part it out on ebay (looking at prices that actually sell).

be willing to ship the larger parts like complete lower, power head, ect.