Throttle body warped

peakek

Recruit
I have a 2003 60 HP 4-stroke mercury bigfoot, when I put it into gear it stalls unless I rev. it up in neutral first then put it into gear. I was told I have a warped throttle body but to repair it the dealer would have to replace the entire intake manifold - costing about $ 1,000.00 - I'm hoping their is a less expensive route to take ?

Thanks

Re: Throttle body warped

Never heard of this? Was the shop citing a service or parts bulletin? If so I am curious what the number is. If it stalls in gear and you have to advance the throttle I would suspect the IAC valve. Assuming all other fuel injection components are in spec.

peakek

Recruit

I ran the boat every day for 2 months after we started having problems, we took it to a cert. mercury mechanic, I know he spent some time testing it and he came up with the throttle body conclusion. He did not give us a number?

NetDoc

Chief Petty Officer

Aluminum can and will distort with heat and pressure. We used to have horrible vacuum leaks on Type III VWs, and found that a bit of elbow grease with emory paper on glass did a wonderful job of flattening the gasket mating surfaces. Be sure to remove all the studs and work from about 120 to 400. Use a circular motion and rotate the work 120 degrees every few minutes. Its important to keep the work FLAT so as not to bevel the edges.

I would think that a warped throttle body would allow more air to pass by the throttle plate, making the engine idle faster. I would put you finger over the "air nipple" marked by the red arrow for a few seconds. If the engine stumbles (drops rpm) and then comes back to its previous idle speed when finger is removed, I would consider the throttle body to be ok. I would be concerned with engine condition and boat to engine fuel supply problems.

1.png