Plumb shower directly to engine??

bowler

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have to ask (stupid question alert),

A friend has told me that you can directly plumb a shower into an engine, thus using the hot water from the engine for warming hands and feetetc and not dumping it into the river. This apparently does not involve any kind of tank or pump. I can understand the idea (just tee in) but has anyone else done this or heard of it?? Living in Ireland (which is cold even in the summer), this is an interesting proposition.

Cheers in advance,

D.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: Plumb shower directly to engine??

All engine water is used to cool the exhaust so as not to burn the sections of exhaust hose.

It is very common to re-route the water thru a heater to warm the cabin, or thru a heat exchanger to heat fresh water for personal use but this water is returned to the exhaust risers to join and cool the exhaust stream.

Redirecting cooling water and reducing flow thru the exhaust system poses risk of overheating sections of the exhaust and is not recommended.

bowler

Petty Officer 1st Class

that makes sense,

cheers for the quick reply. i'm used to cold hands and feet anyway. think i'll invest in some gloves.

d.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

There are several companies that make cabin heaters that get hooked up to the engines cooling system that work quite well if you have a closed cooling system.
I lived and boated in Alaska for a lot of years. Wouldn't be without one.
They work like a cars heater. Have even seen some car heaters converted to work on a boat.

bowler

Petty Officer 1st Class

I like the sound of that! no closed cooling for me though. when i get cold i'll think of you up in alaska (minus your heater);)

Speakrdude

Ensign

Heartercraft also makes a towel warmer tube that has engine water circulating through that keeps all your wet towels dry and warm.

bowler

Petty Officer 1st Class

will do.

cheers bubba.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

hi bowler.

i live in canada.....our really hot seasons are short....only about one month that the mornings and evenings are not cool...

i decided a heater in the boat was a manditory item.......like don s said......i would not be with out one now.

my boat is an open cockpit...no canvas or hard top. and the new heater keeps us toasty warm....

as mentioned earlier......a shower would require a heat exchanger, so the water used to warm the exchanger went back into the engine block. there for fresh water could be drawn out of the lake,,,,,run thru the exchanger, and then used, with the grey water being pumped over board.

the heater.....is a different story....

i purchased a heater core, with a 3 speed fan from a local store.

in this pic, you see the heater, the input and discharge hose. (lower left ish) the wiring. and a small deflector i built (the blue thingy)......it sits under the dash of my closed bow boat. keeping that area nice and warm for hands and feet.

011-1.jpg

010-1.jpg

i took the hi pressure line from the manifold just behind the t stat housing.

007-1.jpg

006-1.jpg

the return is on the block water pump

008-1.jpg

the motor is a 350 mercruiser. but this can be done with any inboard engine.

007-2.jpg

the heater hose is kinda spendy.....as well as the actual heater core unit...(i purchased mine new.....but one out of an auto junk yard with a fan attached to it will work just fine).... money very well spent.

cheers
oops

bowler

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks oops!

That's given me food for thought. Room would be the only issue on my boat but that's certainly something to think about over the off season.

Happy christmas!

D.

Neted

Seaman Apprentice
Last winter I converted my engine, a VP 5.7 Gi-F to a fresh water cooled system, which I bought directly from my VP dealer. This allowed me to plumb in the existing hot water heater as well as to add a heater craft system. I mounted the distribution system under the helm seat. I have three vents in the cockpit area and one down in the cabin. Absolutely the best investment I've made. I live in the north east and my last day of boating was November 25th! Can't wait till march.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk