Johnson 225 ignition replacement

jere1972

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey guys, needs little advice, I recently had some damage to under flywheel components (99 Johnson OP 225), something broke loose I'm guessing from stator assembly, the timer base and stator are done,flywheel-possibly !!!!! trying to save some $ for now, I was planning on going and digging through a local marine salvage yard's outboard surplus, if the #'s match up for my engine would used ignition parts be ok to use if functional? is there anyway to tell if a stator and timer base are good ? my stator had been dripping goop(looks like for awhile), must have been running hot!but don't know the history, I've only had this boat since August. I had someone recently tell me that was an issue with the OEM stators because they were 35 amp, and they run hot, so the protective coating over time melts away but does not mean that the stator is failing, but the melted coating will actlike glue and cause the timer base not to move! CDI states on there site they do not put a coating on the stator coils for that reason! so I'm guessing what I find @ the salvage yard will mostly be OEM, so I can expect to see some melty stators -can I still use these, If they get me through 2 more seasons @ a fraction of new cost I'll be happy! was hoping on buying some new electronics this year, so buying new ignition parts this year will kill my electronics budget!!