ID of Cooling Hoses

FreeBeeTony

Captain
Anyone know what the inside diameter is of the cooling hoses going to the manifolds on a SBC are?
Want to get some "plugs" to help minimize the mess when I replace my risers...........:)

etracer68

Ensign
Re: ID of Cooling Hoses

Have you measured the male tube, minus the barb diameter, that it fits too? Most hoses are marked on the outside.

Last edited:

etracer68

Ensign

You should be able to pull the hose off partly, to get a measurment with a caliper.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Want to get some "plugs" to help minimize the mess when I replace my risers...........

what mess? you drain everything first.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Want to get some "plugs" to help minimize the mess when I replace my risers...........

what mess? you drain everything first.

Tony has closed cooling. I suspect he'd rather not lose all that coolant...

Speakrdude

Ensign

1" to the risers, manifolds (CLOSED COOLED), 1.25" for the raw water input of the Heat Exchanger.

For this very reason, I went to Harbor Freight tools and bought some vise grip looking pliers that are made for squeezing radiator hoses. Just sqeeze on hose, remove hose, done.

FreeBeeTony

Captain

1" to the risers, manifolds (CLOSED COOLED), 1.25" for the raw water input of the Heat Exchanger.

For this very reason, I went to Harbor Freight tools and bought some vise grip looking pliers that are made for squeezing radiator hoses. Just sqeeze on hose, remove hose, done.

I like this idea........

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Still, FWC manifolds use a blockoff plate. pulling just the riser could fill the exaust manifold with A/F unless drained first.

FreeBeeTony

Captain

Still, FWC manifolds use a blockoff plate. pulling just the riser could fill the exaust manifold with A/F unless drained first.

That's correct..........I plan on pulling the hoses off at the manifold to allow it to drain prior to removing the riser. But I want to plug the hoses so the coolant doesn't drain from the block/HE.

series60

Chief Petty Officer

But I want to plug the hoses so the coolant doesn't drain from the block/HE.

Don't think the water will drain out of the block unless you remove the block drains. Are we really talking about saving $10.00 worth of A/F?

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Put a 5 gallon bucket under the drain hole in the transom, pull off the bottom hose and let the coolant drain into the bilge and out thru the drain to the bucket. Place a second bucket under the drain and hose out the bilge, The coolant will not drain out of the block. By trying to plug the hoses all you will do is get antifreeze everywhere and have to hose it out anyway.