Should i or should'nt i ???

xtremefisher1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1965 33 hp evinrude that has some minor internal issues.. I have the complete motor and leg and what not. I was wandering what is everyones take on doing a rebuild? Would be nice to get into and all in all probably wouldnt cost that much to do..

Any advice and ehlp would be great

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: Should i or should'nt i ???

It depends what "minor internal issues" you have, in my opinion a rebuilt engine is rarely ever as good as a factory built engine so if you don't require a complete rebuild then I personnaly wouldn't do it.

Also I would check and make sure you can find all your gaskets and water pump kit ect, I bet it will be @$300 or more.

If this is not your main engine and you just want to do it for the experience then fine but being your first time don't expect it to run perfect the first time out.

xtremefisher1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well once i get the power head apart i guess i can see exactly whats wrong with it.. i am mechanically inclined with ourboards as i re-did a 70 viking 9.6 last year with alot of reasearch for parts etc. all the parts i need for my 33 are available threw my brp dealer and here on iboats but due to shipping and what the dealer charges me for parts it works out to the same so i buy fomthere .. sorry iboats...

losnbama

Petty Officer 2nd Class

im sure it will be worth going for...why not?what else do you have to do haha...besides just imagine the grin youre gonna have when she starts and you smell the fumes of that ole girl...but ya gotta crack it open to see whats wat ya know...and hey if the power head is more than you want to take on...throw a riding lawnmower engine on it and take off towards the sunset lol

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Rebuilding an outboard is one of the simpler rebuilds you can do. Those old 33's are very easy. Why exactly do you want to rebuild it? What's the compression on that motor? 5150abf is about right for the cost. If you need pistons and such, that's about right. It greatly depends on what you find once you get in there. The condition of the cylinder walls and pistons are what will make it an expensive job, or a cheap job. Your main expenses then will be rings, bearings and gaskets. It sounds like you've been doing your research and that's also important.

xtremefisher1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the reason i wanna rebuild it is it has a hard spot when you turn it over by hand so i want to see whats going on inside.. if i dont do this one i will be doing a 65 40 hp jonnhy with electric shift as soon as i get my motor top notch ..

its always a great winter project to do and stay warm when u do it in ur basement lol ....

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Well, I personally wouldn't consider doing an electric shift model. I seen how expensive the parts are. :eek: I would say tear into the 33 and fix it up though. Those are so much cheaper to get parts for.