Stator Problem

Stonnejb

Cadet
Hello everyone;

I purchased a 1984 mercury I6, the owner stated it up and allow it to run a while and it sounded pretty good. The engine was not misfiring or stumbling while running. Once I got the engine home and setup on my engine stand. I decided to remove the cowling and check the routing and condition of all the wiring. I notice there was two yellow wires coming from the stator and connecting to the rectifier, those two wires was deteriorated and falling apart. Now, what does this mean? The engine started up and ran fine. The two yellow wire that come off the stator, can these wires be replaced or do I need to purchase a new stator?

Help
Stonnejb:confused:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: Stator Problem

No replacement as they are put right into the stator.
You can cover them with heatshrink or liquid electric tape.Or simply cover with electrical tape.

fisherman81654

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hello everyone;

I purchased a 1984 mercury I6, the owner stated it up and allow it to run a while and it sounded pretty good. The engine was not misfiring or stumbling while running. Once I got the engine home and setup on my engine stand. I decided to remove the cowling and check the routing and condition of all the wiring. I notice there was two yellow wires coming from the stator and connecting to the rectifier, those two wires was deteriorated and falling apart. Now, what does this mean? The engine started up and ran fine. The two yellow wire that come off the stator, can these wires be replaced or do I need to purchase a new stator?

Help
Stonnejb:confused:
The two yellow wires are for the charging side of the stator that charges your battery.
Trace the two yellow wires all the way up next to the stator,then cut them,if the damage is still there,yes replace the stator if you want your battery to charge.If the wires are in good shape in that area and the insulation is not falling apart in that area ,splice in new wires,it may or may not work,depends if they were shorted out or not by a bad rectiver.
If the two yellow wires are burnt,the rectiver is probably toasted also.

Stonnejb

Cadet

Thanks, everyone for your input. I will take the stator off the engine and check the condition of the two yellow wires at the stator. If I can splice onto them I will. If not, then I will have to purchase a new stator and rectifire. The wires look burnt and that is not good. The other wires that comes of the stator are in pretty good shape.

Later

Stonnejb