Jet outboard on a SIB?

3/16th's

Recruit
Hey guys,

I currently run a Mercury 20 Jet on a 12.5' Star Inflatables Sport Bug. I fabricated a large, plywood ski that extends from the transom and runs about 3/4's of the way to the bow before it curves up to almost touch the floor. I had to do this to eliminate the inner wake created by the tunnel hull. The system work's pretty well but is awkward to setup and store.

Depending on which inflatable dealer I talk to, some say that this motor will work on a SIB while others say forget it.

Hopefully there are some users here who have some practical experience running jets on a SIB or know people who have tried. I would love to hear your comments!

If I proceed with a SIB, I would be interested in the Seamax HD470.

Thanks in advance!

Hugh

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: Jet outboard on a SIB?

How about rigging a 420 Rib instead of a sib with that engine, a 20 jet is too poor for a 470 heavily loaded sib. That size usually uses 30 to 40 HP engines.

Happy Boating

jacoboregon

Petty Officer 1st Class

While not having personal experience running a jet on a sib, I have owned and run jet outboards and have seen them on sibs. I can't see any real reason why a jet would not run on a sib meeting minimum requirements, such as haveing non-turbulent flow to the intake, otherwise you'll have cavitation and will ruin the impeller. The boat must have a "clean" hull to transom transition without bumps or voids.
It you aren't set on a particular boat and really want a sib/jet combo, take a look at the following link for an inflatable boat specifically designed to be run with a jet outboard in 3" or water.

http://www.alaskaseries.com/alaskan_jet ranger.htm

Hope this helps!:)

3/16th's

Recruit

Thanks for the replies!

Space is a concern, therefor a RIB is out of the question. I am interested in the 470 mainly for the roominess. The inside of a Sport Bug is not much bigger than a canoe. I agree that the 20 Jet is a little underpowered for that boat, but it would be just me and fishing partner and gear (less than 500 pounds). An engine upgrade is definitely on the horizon!

I looked at the Alaska Series, but its not much bigger than what I have now, plus its 3 times the price of the 470.