Johnson 35HP

jbcurt00

Staff member
I just bought my 1st winter project, a 1960 Glastron Fireflite:
1960 Glastron.jpgJohnson 35HP.jpg

I don't take delivery until Wed 12noon, so I'll check the ID tag & post online, any info would be greatly appreciated. I could only find 1 place to take a look at it, and it RUNS:confused:. All I want is for it to get the once over & make sure it's in good operating order & doesn't need anything tuned or adjusted. So it's ready when I finish the transom & deck replacement.

Thanks

kfa4303

Banned
Re: Johnson 35HP

Awesome fine jb. You're in the right place. The folks here and in the resto forum can walk you through anything you may need to do. Give these links a read. They should help you get that great old motor purring in no time. You can get most of the consumable parts like pints & condensers, carb kits, impellers, etc..... right here at iboats. Keep us posted. We love pics ;)

http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/04/s/columns/max/24/index.cfm
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=158086
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=167352

jbcurt00

Staff member

Thanks, see my 1960 Glastron FireFlite has a new home thread, posted 9+ pix today.

Looking forward to an interesting winter. And just got a message back from someone w/ a 1960 Merc 650 Keifer (?) running that is really close.....Hmmmmmm........ Any chance the warden won't notice that the motors are different & different HP when I tell her it came with 2????:D

Now if I will just figure out adding my thread to my signature.....I know I left those directions here somewhere......Maybe my dog ate them:facepalm:

I'd like to summon the powers of the Blue Collar Comedy tour & Larry the Cable guy to GIT 'R DONE! I may hang that over the bow from the garage door header.........

jbcurt00

Staff member

Ordered the engine book today, & neq'd a price on the keifer 650. Probably pick it up Sun. I've been reading through the Duckworks threads for engine & lower units. Evil-bay has a new (to me)throttle & direction control box headed my way, plus I'm hours from closing on a captains pedestal seat:facepalm:. We had a delay in picking up the new addition to our family, won't get her til Fri.

I am officially in over my head. Especially w/ 2nd boat I've nearly closed on, but just to get a windshield & a better trailer.......

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Hahahahahahha you're in the same boat as me. LOL I just went and got my 5th Big Twin class Johny/Rude today as a parts motor. I got a '59 Evinrude Lark parts motor, but has a rebuilt lower unit, for the tune of 50 bucks. I also gave the guy an additional 60 bucks and got wiring and direction control box for it. Good enough....it'll be what I need to get my Lone Star ready to rip.

The old Kiefer 65hp huh? Decent motors from what I can tell. Any Merc with the Kiekhaefer logo on it was a good one. Carl Kiekhaefer was a genius, when he came to the outboard pioneering. It's when Brunswick bought him out, quality went south.

As far as the signature stuff, just go into your profile and select "Settings"