Question about adding some life back to my vinyl pieces.

menglor

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ok, so I bought a boat a few months ago, and I am going to make it my winter project.

its it faily rough shape, and my goal is to refinish most of the vinyl.

I ordered 20 yards of marine vinyl off ebay, so I am ramping up for a lot of sewing.

now, the boat is from 1976 era, I think the seats are oringinal I am going to be changing all of the plywood seating because a lot of it is ROTTEN.

The Engine rear deack, the engine cover lid, and the rear seats are being completly re-done.

Seats will eventually go but it a 500 hit , and I am sinking about 1k in engine, and about 500 into vinyl this year, a paint job next year, then the seats.

->> I would like to re-use some of the welting because its going to make life easier then having to buy or make my own.
->> having removed some of the vynil already off the seats, I have noticed some of its extremly dried but little or no cracking.

Basically I am looking for information on what can I do to restore the welting and or the seating to something more plyable.

In the reconstruction of some of the seats, I know right now that the needle on the sewing machine is going to snap unless I do something to soften it up.

up until about an hour ago, I hadnt realized you could actually make your own Welting, so maybe I am asking all this for nothing, going to see what my mother things about my ideas :)

Mom is a Weekend furniture repair person, so no expert, but a whole lot better then I am :)

imput, tricks, thoughts , ideas suggestions are all welcome :)

please and thanks.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Question about adding some life back to my vinyl pieces.

Why would you reuse welting?

I hope you have an industrial machine because a home machine isn't going to cut it.

I like to buy vinyl where you can buy the welting that matches the color vinyl I am using. Makes life easier.

menglor

Petty Officer 3rd Class

its not that I want to re-use the welting, the guy I bought the vinyl from said he doesnt sell it, so it wasnt an option, and I saw a few posts on here showing how to make it, so I dont think a deal breaker.

but if I can re-use it, why not?

my post is more about softening up the edges then re-using the welting, but if I can find a simple way to soften up the welting, why not re-use it.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

why not re-use it.

because it's 36 years old.... it's junk.... I spose you could redo the interior now and redo it again after you get your new seats because your re-used welting is cracking

Even iif you could soften it chemically, it is hard from many years of out gassing which is the process by which plastic dies. It does not come back from that.

A job worth doing is a job worth doing right

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

put the welting in a pillow case and throw it in you clothes dryer and do the sew job as soon as it comes out of the dryer when it is warm and plyable.BTW what did mommy have to say?? Charlie

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

put the welting in a pillow case and throw it in you clothes dryer and do the sew job as soon as it comes out of the dryer when it is warm and plyable.BTW what did mommy have to say?? Charlie
Sorry Charlie....but that's crazy! You ever done any sewing before?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

To the OP, what color is your vinyl? There are some places that you can get pre-made welting. What kind of sewing machine are you going to use?

menglor

Petty Officer 3rd Class

honestly, I dont know much about the sewing machine, its something we bought at a used shop years ago, not too concerned if it explodes.

the seats are white, the trim will likely be gray, and I havent talked to mom yet.

cool thing about my mom is, she is always looking for something to do, she has changed the tiles too many times in her bathroom to count, so her husband might enjoy me paying for her projects :)

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade

...WE couldn't find the ready-made CORDING (welting) in the proper color when restoring one of our MG's. The XO procured the correct color MARINE vinyl and using the CORDING foot on one of her sewing machines made yards of the stuff for me. She used the appropriate needle for demin and had no difficulties. If your XO (or you) are handy with a sewing machine, have a little practice on a scrap of your existing material.
BTW...when we finally got around to assemblying the seat materials, we had to switch to a DIRECT-drive machine in order to pierce several layers of material.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

I own an upholstery shop. If you want new welt, PM me. Let me know how much you need and I'll tell you how to cut the material (true welt is made from the same material the cushions are made from, not the plastic welt crap). Send me the material and I'll sew the welt for you. No charge, just cover the shipping.

menglor

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I own an upholstery shop. If you want new welt, PM me. Let me know how much you need and I'll tell you how to cut the material (true welt is made from the same material the cushions are made from, not the plastic welt crap). Send me the material and I'll sew the welt for you. No charge, just cover the shipping.

WoW thanks, I would truly love that, I will say, its one thing about being in Canada sucks, shipping and crossing the borders gets soo expensive.

I bought this stuff.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/280759560853?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
not sure if that link is going to work for anyone but me. but 6$ a yard for marine vinyl, seems like a decent price.

once I get it, I will try to take some picks and show everyone how its going.