Motor for 3.8m SIB

rich hand

Cadet
Ive got a Zebec 380 and choosing from a 15, 20 and 25hp motors 2 or 4 stroke. There will usually only be 2 people on board but maybe an extra person or 2 on occasion. What motor would you buy?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: Motor for 3.8m SIB

For only 2 people a Tohatsu 18 HP 2 strokes is perfect fit if available, if occasionally with 2 more people, probably won't be able to plane that combo, will depend on the total weight of the extra passengers, but will cruise confortably. If extra weight and budget it's not an issue could go for a 25 HP SS engine. 2 strokes weights about 10 kilos less than same 4 strokes versions.

Happy Boating

jacoboregon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Go with the 25hp if it is within your reach. You'll be happy when you need the extra power and it is available. It's better to have extra power in reserve than not to have enough when needed.

I believe you'll find the 2-stroke lighter and quicker out of the hole and cheaper.

I know some places restrict 2-strokes, so that is also something to check on in the areas you wish to boat.

Having had 380's with 20 + 25 hp, now having 40hp, I much prefer having the extra power available when I want it.

Keep us updated. Do you have any pics?

Syzygy

Seaman Apprentice

Ive got a Zebec 380 and choosing from a 15, 20 and 25hp motors 2 or 4 stroke. There will usually only be 2 people on board but maybe an extra person or 2 on occasion. What motor would you buy?

I'd go with a 25hp, but a 20hp would do it. 2-Stroke would be great if you can source one, but tougher these days.

Depends on what you expectations of performance are and what you budget can aford you.

Good luck!

S-

Pic below is a 14' boat, 2 people (obviously) and a 20hp 4-stroke Honda. The boat boogied.

View attachment 122840

Last edited:

rich hand

Cadet

They worked yesterday after I put them on so something has happened. Ive contacted admin so hopefully they will work soon?!

rich hand

Cadet

Ive found a Mercury 30hp 2 stroke, would this be viable? I believe they are lighter than some 25hp motors

Pack Rat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Having just finished my 1st season getting back into a 12'6" inflatable I can tell you the engine weight is the biggest problem esp without a trailer. My previous boat had a 100 pound Mariner 28hp 2 stroke which I hand carried down to the boat each and every time.

My new boat has a 160 pound Mercury 25hp 4 stroke. It's top heavy, bulky, and that extra 60 pounds makes it impossible for me to safely manhandle it. If you check my posts you'll see I had to buy a lift table
and modify it with a cradle just to get the motor in and out of my truck and down onto the boat safely.

Like Sea Rider said...a 2 stroke 18-20hp will fit your needs if you watch the people/cargo weight. Last year when I was in the market there were simply no (NEW) 2 strokes even being sold, it was all 4 strokes. I love my EFI 4 stroke but if I did it again I would look for the best used 100 pound 2 stroke I could find.

DSC02936-1.jpg

jamnn

Seaman Apprentice

So why the difference in motors between similar sized sibs. My 10 footer is rated for 4 people and 9.9 hp. And when my boat was built there was only 2 strokes. My boat has wooden transom and floors. I added two home built wooden dry boxes fore and aft with a ton of varnish and two swivel fishing seats, one on each box. Is a 12 footer that much different from a 10 footer. Will a 9.9 4 stroke be enough for two people?

jacoboregon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Having just finished my 1st season getting back into a 12'6" inflatable I can tell you the engine weight is the biggest problem esp without a trailer. My previous boat had a 100 pound Mariner 28hp 2 stroke which I hand carried down to the boat each and every time.

My new boat has a 160 pound Mercury 25hp 4 stroke. It's top heavy, bulky, and that extra 60 pounds makes it impossible for me to safely manhandle it. If you check my posts you'll see I had to buy a lift table
and modify it with a cradle just to get the motor in and out of my truck and down onto the boat safely.

Like Sea Rider said...a 2 stroke 18-20hp will fit your needs if you watch the people/cargo weight. Last year when I was in the market there were simply no (NEW) 2 strokes even being sold, it was all 4 strokes. I love my EFI 4 stroke but if I did it again I would look for the best used 100 pound 2 stroke I could find.

DSC02936-1.jpg

Four strokes are much heavier than 2-strokes. I agree about sticking to a 2-stroke if your proposed boating areas allow it (unfortunately some places have banned 2-strokes).

jacoboregon

Petty Officer 1st Class

So why the difference in motors between similar sized sibs. My 10 footer is rated for 4 people and 9.9 hp. And when my boat was built there was only 2 strokes. My boat has wooden transom and floors. I added two home built wooden dry boxes fore and aft with a ton of varnish and two swivel fishing seats, one on each box. Is a 12 footer that much different from a 10 footer. Will a 9.9 4 stroke be enough for two people?

Yes, there is much difference between a 10 footer and a 12 footer. My 12.6 footer is rated at a 40hp. You will also find a difference in boats the same size but different manufacturers concerning max rated hp.

Will a 9.9 4-stroke be enough for two people? ... Well, that depends on what you want or expect out of it.

jacoboregon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ive found a Mercury 30hp 2 stroke, would this be viable? I believe they are lighter than some 25hp motors

That would definitely be a viable choice. If the price/condition is acceptable, I would say go for it. It should weigh about 105 lbs.:)