Looking for complete engine info...want to look for parts.

STINGER23

Cadet
I have a 1984 Chris Craft Stinger with a Mercruiser Bravo 7.4L...its 454 cid...
Im looking for an engine manual and all the info to look up the engine online, but cannot find it.

Can anyone help?

All I know is:

Mercruiser
454 c.i.d
7.4L/V8 Bravo
Thunderbolt Igniton/Power steering

Thanks!

Sam

342zm.jpg

CRay45DB

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Looking for complete engine info...want to look for parts.

If you have a local West Marine they will have it. Like 30 bucks, covers everything to 92' I believe.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

If you want a manual, go genuine. If you want fire lighters, knee pads or hand cleaners, go 'other'....

achris

I have a 1984 Chris Craft Stinger with a Mercruiser Bravo 7.4L......

Err, sorry, no you don't. The boat might be 1984, but Bravos didn't appear until 1988, so post up the engine and drive serial numbers and we can point you at the genuine manuals...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Seloc and clymers manuals are junk. They only list about 1/4 or less of the info found in the OEM manuals, and many times that info is inaccurate.

STINGER23

Cadet

Err, sorry, no you don't. The boat might be 1984, but Bravos didn't appear until 1988, so post up the engine and drive serial numbers and we can point you at the genuine manuals...

The 454 and bravo drive thats in the boat isnt the original setup....i beleive it had a 260 with a different drive. I cant find a serial number for the motor, but I do have one for the drive.

Don S

Post the serial numbers of your drive, that may give some clue.
Also, on that plastic cover on the top of the engine, there is a decal that should have your engines Mercruiser serial number on it, there should also be a metal tag riveted to the block just above and aft of the starter.

STINGER23

Cadet

Post the serial numbers of your drive, that may give some clue.
Also, on that plastic cover on the top of the engine, there is a decal that should have your engines Mercruiser serial number on it, there should also be a metal tag riveted to the block just above and aft of the starter.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

achris

Houston, we have a problem!!!

That serial number is coming up as a 1990 Alpha drive...

Can you get the serial number off the drive itself? Also check the engine for a small silver coloured tag on the engine block above the starter motor for an engine serial number.

menglor

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I am going to try to avoid the whole manual argument going on. "try"

but myself as a new boater with some technical background. I went and bought the manual from the local marine shop and honestly it was a waist of 40$.

I dont agree you should run out and buy all the factory manuals either, thats way too nuts.

The after market manuals try to do too much, my book covers 1964 - 1995(aprox) man there are sooo many engines, drives, parts that are different yet similar to my boat I can usuall figure it out. but I have noticed on the important things, its lacking.

so, what I have taken to doing is googling a lot, I found some of the factory manual's I needed. and I have a decent laser printer and I print out the pages I need. I think I have printed 5 or 6 so far.

there are things in those manuals that you will NEVER use, or never need. makes more sense to find what you need online and print it as you go.

my input.

achris

but myself as a new boater with some technical background. I went and bought the manual from the local marine shop and honestly it was a waist of 40$.

I dont agree you should run out and buy all the factory manuals either, thats way too nuts.

The after market manuals try to do too much, my book covers 1964 - 1995(aprox) man there are sooo many engines, drives, parts that are different yet similar to my boat I can usuall figure it out. but I have noticed on the important things, its lacking.

so, what I have taken to doing is googling a lot, I found some of the factory manual's I needed. and I have a decent laser printer and I print out the pages I need. I think I have printed 5 or 6 so far.

there are things in those manuals that you will NEVER use, or never need. makes more sense to find what you need online and print it as you go.

my input.

I put an old, outdated but still working ok computer out in my shed with all the genuine manuals loaded onto it (and a dust cover on the keyboard, for those greasy hands).... I have manuals on tap... :D

Using the 'one shoe fits all' manuals is ok if you are experienced and have a good dose of common sense, but for people trying to work on things they have never seen before (first time I/O owners spring to mind) then they are confusing and a lot of the time just wrong...

Chris......

Don S

Since the drive serial number isn't helping, might post a picture of your drive, but I so suspect you have a Bravo drive, not sure why the SN's are screwed up.
Did you look for the tag by the starter for the engine serial number?
I have links to download the OEM manuals, just not sure what to give you.

Attachments

• Merc SN Location.jpg
    Merc SN Location.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Alpha SN, ratio stamps.jpg
    Alpha SN, ratio stamps.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 0

CRay45DB

Petty Officer 2nd Class

my input.
Good answer. All manuals provide something different. I hear what your saying about the blue book, but it will come in handy at some point. Do you know where to get the parts schematics for free? It's gold. Let me know, I'll send you the link.

You got caught in a bigger thing than you wanted to. Different opinions does not warrant the above comments. I will end this easily now, send a private and I will send you the link. This and lots of tools will get you where you want to go. Merc is a strange engine to me. That is just an opinion. It's really over engineered. Dealers love Merc, the service they make on this is amazing. But it has served millions well.

CRay45DB

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a 1984 Chris Craft Stinger with a Mercruiser Bravo 7.4L...its 454 cid...
Im looking for an engine manual and all the info to look up the engine online, but cannot find it.

Can anyone help?

All I know is:

Mercruiser
454 c.i.d
7.4L/V8 Bravo
Thunderbolt Igniton/Power steering

Thanks!

Sam

View attachment 122799

Go to **********, use your serial numbers. Will give you schematics to your engines.

STINGER23

Cadet

Since the drive serial number isn't helping, might post a picture of your drive, but I so suspect you have a Bravo drive, not sure why the SN's are screwed up.
Did you look for the tag by the starter for the engine serial number?
I have links to download the OEM manuals, just not sure what to give you.

Here is the drive:

Needs a new skeg...

Don S

What about the engine, that's the biggest problem.

That is an Alpha I drive, not a Bravo.

Don S

Some further info.

Mercruiser did use the Alpha I outdrive on the 454's in 86-88 only, but, if that is the correct serial number for the drive it has the wrong gear ratio. Merc used a 1.32 and your sn has a 1.5 ratio (for a small block V8)

The engine is not originally for the alpha drive, because it has the fuel pump mounted on the sea water pump that came later.

If you don't have the SN tag on the engine, post a picture of your distributor, and the shift cable plate.

menglor

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ok, so here is a weird question, i really dont like thread jacking, but 2 questions come to mind when I see the OP's pictures.

1- whats that Hydrolic line going into the side of the stern drive, I have a Alpha Gen 1 drive, and a MC-1 drive, and never seen that hyrdrolic on anything ever before.

2 - Wow there is literally no skeg on that unit :), what are his options for repairing it (OTHER then sending it out for a rebuild) does he have too?