Ford Spark Plugs?

robert graham

Admiral
I've been mulling over the idea of a Ford F-150 Pickup Truck to pull my boat with, but have read some horror stories about some tricked-out, 2 piece, long-reach spark plugs in their V8's that break off in the heads when you try to change them. It's apparently been a real design flaw and a major headache for quite a few Ford owners. Any of you guys heard about this and if it's ever been addressed and fixed? Spark plugs broken off in heads don't sound like my kind of good time!:eek: Thanks!

stackz

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Ford Spark Plugs?

I have one of the affected trucks. did the plugs this summer.

5 of 8 broke on me sigh. took me a couple days to get it all done. I went with the E3.70 plugs as they were the cheapest single piece replacement plug I could find. $110 for all 8 versus $200+ for the one piece motorcraft replacements.

the tool kit to pull the broken pieces out is like $70 from lisle.

my truck only had 65k on it when I swapped plugs, was hoping I'd get lucky but I didnt.

this only affects the 5.4 3v engines though. also, if you're looking in this year range, from 04 to mid 06 they also had issues with cam phasers sheering retaining pins. before they completely fail and you drop a valve it will sound like a diesel at idle. just something else to look out for.

also, if you get a 4x4 model, listen for "shuddering" when you do low speed turns or tip into the throttle in a turn from a stop. the 9-3/4" rearend is famous for having crap oil and friction modifier from the factory that eats up the clutches in the differential. the TSB even tells you to use different oil and friction modifier after you replace the clutches. I still havent gotten pissed to the point of addressing it on my truck yet though lol.

couple pics from my wonderful plug experience:
carnage4.jpg

carnage7.jpg

stackz

My understanding is that the way to prevent the spark plugs from breaking is to soak each spark plug area with PBBlaster or Kroil the night before. Ford has a service bulletin on it.

Read this thread. Lots of good info in it.

http://www.f150online.com/forums/2004-2008-f-150/251668-ford-spark-plug-tool.html

yeah, no that sucks as well. didnt help me and I did it overnight. what it DID do on 2 of the plugs that broke was help cause the porcelain to turn into a nice hard to remove sandwich down in the bore.

had to get the broken porcelain from the "pushing" part of the lisle tool process out of the way so the "puller" could grab the inside of the plug body. this was not fun trying to get out of the bore so I could grab it.

nice pb-blaster/porcelain chunk mess...

carnage3.jpg

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Did you back the plug out slightly before you put the penetrant on for the night? I also understand you want to run the engine for a little bit before you do it. Just warm...not hot or cold.

I used to have one of these trucks but never had it long enough to change the plugs. I would recommend changing them at 50K.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

The problem was with the early 3 valve 4.6/5.4L/6.8L engines. From '04-'08 (according to the Ford TSB). Ford revised the head/spark plug design for the latter engines.

Current owners have to resort to changing there plugs sooner than the recommended service interval if they want the plugs to come out in 1 piece. I have read where Champion has come out with a 1 piece plug for these engines... I would have mixed thoughts on installing a Champion anything in a Ford, but I suppose if Champion engineered the plug directly for this application, it would hopefully be better than reverse engineering heat ranges/thread size to make a Champion fit in something not intended to use a Champion....

stackz

Did you back the plug out slightly before you put the penetrant on for the night? I also understand you want to run the engine for a little bit before you do it. Just warm...not hot or cold.

I used to have one of these trucks but never had it long enough to change the plugs. I woulrecommendnd changing them at 50K.

yup and yup I was trying with all my heart to not have one break so I did all the tricks I read about. even though I put in onepiece plugs I still tossed some antisieze on the plug ends. got way too paranoid after fighting to get the old ones out.

Fishing Dude too

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Part of the problem is these plugs was when they started their Mexico plant moving work from Fostoria, Ohio plant.

rivermouse

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Yo If you have not bought the truck yet there is no problem. Just make the seller replace the plugs (verify it) before you pay. If he wont.........you walk

robert graham

Admiral

Thanks guys....all this about Ford engines is not too confidence-inspiring, maybe I'll just run my LT-1 Roadmaster another year!

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Thanks guys....all this about Ford engines is not too confidence-inspiring, maybe I'll just run my LT-1 Roadmaster another year!

Roberto, you can pick a Detroit (or Japan) engine and find something bad about it 'cause they all break. That's just the way it be. If you want an F150 go fer it.

robert graham

Admiral

Well, I've always run "older" cars where plugs were $1.50 each and you could change all 8 in about 15 minutes!....the price of progress is pretty steep!;)

robert graham

Admiral

The one piece Champion spark plugs are $12 at RockAuto.

Here is the TSB
http://info.rockauto.com/54PlugRemovaltsb208.pdf
Sounds like it would make good sense if you bought a new, or nearly new Ford truck to just go ahead and replace the 2-piece plugs with the 1-piece Champions with a gob of ant-seize on their threads....maybe save yourself the "broke-plugs blues";)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Except that the newer trucks won't have this problem as they don't use this engine.

robert graham

Admiral

Except that the newer trucks won't have this problem as they don't use this engine.
So they fixed this problem!...what year? I guess the R&D/Development Department of any automotive manufacturer lays an egg now and then, and those 2 piece plugs are good examples!...Wonder how dependable that new variable valve timing is?

FunInDuhSun

Chief Petty Officer

Yeah, I went thru all this with my '08 F250 last year. Wasnt aware of the problem until the truck was approaching 100K. Apparently the clearances are so tight that carbon build-up can seize the extended electrode.
I ended up buying the one piece Champ 7989's and let the dealer change 'em.
They did pretty well- only breaking #1 but they smacked me for almost 500 clams just for labor!!!!!
Truck turned 130K today and it's running A-OK.