'73 7.5 HP - parts sources and an ignition question

I have a 1973 7.5 HP Mercury that was given to me, my intention is to get it running, replace the impeller, give it fresh gear lube, and sell it. It seems to be in pretty good condition except for some ignition wires (including the points) on which the insulation is cracking and falling off, and a broken insert from the throttle handle. So far I've not been able to locate any of the parts I need at a reasonable price (I've found points, but it'll be a cold day in hell before I pay $75 each for them). Does anybody carry parts for these older Mercs, or is my best bet just going to be ebay?

Also, I measured the resistance of the stators and found one at around 175 Ohms and the other around 4k Ohms, so assumed that one of them was bad. When I looked them up on CDI's website, lo and behold they show a low speed and high speed stator, with resistances of around 175 and 3K ohms. Can someone please explain why the two stators are different?

It looks like I could probably make more money if I parted out this engine, but for some silly reason I'll get a lot more satisfaction out of getting it running and sending it off to a new home.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: '73 7.5 HP - parts sources and an ignition question

Merc uses low/high speed coils where Johnrude just use a charge coil to make spark voltage. Sound like you got the phasemaker ignition, just replace all the rotten wiring and clean the point and it should be ok.