MinnKote maxxum 65 motor sticking

nsbowman

Recruit
I found out my seals had gone bad and I had water in my lower unit. I odered new brushes and gaskets and bearings and cleaned everything out. But now you have to tap the prop to get it started turning. As long as it doesn't stop it runs great. But once it stops I have to pull it out of the water nad tap it to get it going again.

I checked and the seals are holding (no water inside).

Suggestions?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: MinnKote maxxum 65 motor sticking

When you reassembled the motor you have something misaligned and it is binding the armature shaft. Make sure the bearings are clean and operate freely. Even though you "think" the motor is running fine, the fact that you have to manually get it started says the motor is also drawing much more current than necessary so battery run time is being reduced as well.

fucawi

Banned

Are you saying you have to push the prop forwards to get it to run ? If so how much? sounds like you assembled it wrong .....Just a tip ..never run it out of water it buggers the lip seal on the shaft .. I always lubricate the seal with this stuff every couple of times I use it and when I check for fishing line behind the prop

Attachments

• $(KGrHqIOKiwE12VoPCZHBNfnkTjYyQ~~_12.jpg
    $(KGrHqIOKiwE12VoPCZHBNfnkTjYyQ~~_12.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 0

cyclops2

Banned

Tapping a motor with brushes is either weak brush spring or a armature going bad.

I assume The motor ALWAYS started correctly before you changed the brushes ? If yes. They are wrong ones or you have a HELLUVA lot of oxidation / corrosion on those armature segments. Pull the end off carefully and LIGHTLY, with very fine paper, remove some of the dark stuff from it. Do a neat even removal of the film.

If you can take it apart again. CAREFULLY put the armature in the jaws of a VARIABLY speed drill. Spinit slowly with the paper to clean it up EVENLY. VACUUM CLEANER all the fine grit off the armature very thoroughly !!! Should be good. Check the spring pressure. Some brushes are PRE-CURVED to fit the armature. Check you got that right.

fucawi

Banned

or even use a lathe......glass paper not emery..does yours use the card tube to hold back the brushes which then falls off when you put the armature in ???

Oh thats what its for ........!!!!1