Problems getting full power Merc 115 EFI

barnabee

Recruit
Hi Everyone,

I've got a 115 Merc 4 stroke EFI, I believe it's a 2005 or 2006. Motor has 400 hrs on it and has not had any problems thus far. The boat is in Baja and kept down here an only run a couple times a year for a week or two at a time. Before storage the engine is flushed and we try to leave the fuel tank as empty as possible and put in Sta-Bil additive everytime. Spark plugs were changed at 100 hrs and we keep up to date with oil.

So put the boat in the water today and started trolling at about 5mph just fine. After about 15 minutes engine coughed a little bit, slowed, and died. Started back up again and resumed to have the same thing happen a couple minutes later. Decided to open it up and try and clean out any crappy fuel since I thought that might be it. Tried to get it on a plane but at about 2500 RPM she hit a wall and as I throttled more she started to get a little jerky and lost some power and eventually died. Spark plugs hadn't been changed and I found 2 new ones, so I swapped those out, and swapped out the other 2 with 2 from the 100 hr change since I figured plugs with a hundred hours were better than plugs with 200hrs on them. Tried again but same problem. Tried while pumping the bleeder pump, but it was "hard" with fuel and still no luck. Took off all fuel lines and blew threw them to make sure they were clear, then tried again, no luck. Took off cover, emptied fuel filter on motor and banged out the element, then pumped it full of fuel, then tried again while watching the fuel filter (which stayed full with fuel the whole time) and again no luck.

One time the boat did get back up on a plane, RPMs came up to 5000 and she got up to about 25mph, but still didn't quite feel right, or that she had all the power. I throttled down, and tried again and she wouldn't come up. So basically my problem is the boat drive fine up to about 2000-2500 RPMs, and then as I go for more she just bogs down and sounds like she's revving up a little but then loses it right away. Eventually if I drive it at wide open trying to get through that wall she will die.

So I'm out of ideas, I'm here in Baja, all the stores are closed since its Sunday, and the stores that are here are pretty much just simple auto type stores.

Anyone have any suggestions or ideas to troubleshoot or things that I can do while I'm down here and try and get this boat going again.

I have a basic understanding of engines, and how they work and everything, but I'm definitely not a mechanical wiz. Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Danny