Drive Shaft Removal

Dave Zeiher

Recruit
I have a 2008 Evinrude eTec 115hp and I am in the process of replacing the propeller shaft. Following the repair manual I have disassenbled the gearcase, replaced the appropriate seals and replaced the damaged propeller shaft. I have reassembled the propeller shaft unit, pinion (and lower drive shaft) and have inserted the upper drive shaft and seated the lower retainer clip. However, I forgot to insert the upper retainer clip in its groove before seating the lower clip. Now the grove for the upper clip is below the top of the lower drive shaft so the upper clip can not be seated and I can not unseat the lower clip to remove the upper drive shaft again. I have applied pressure per the instructions to unseat the lower clip, but it won't unseat. I have applied upward pressure on the upper drive shaft but the shaft will neither move up nor down.

How can I unseat the lower retainer clip and remove the upper drive shaft? Does it really matter since upper shaft can not move up and will not move down. Also, the keyway for the waterpump is clearly accessible.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: Drive Shaft Removal

It will be fine as this is how most of the aftermarket units are shipped to customers, you just remove shaft and reinsert.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Drive Shaft Removal

If you really want to get the D/S back out and install it properly, take it to a BRP dealer and tell him to use P/N 390706 and P/N 325867 to get it apart. Then put in NEW retaining rings installed properly.