Installing kicker motor

gasman1

Cadet
I am thinking about installing a small kicker motor on the back of my Lund 1675 impact. I am wondering what size and shaft length to go with. Currently have a Honda 90 for the main motor. Was thinking about a 5hp honda. Will that be big enough? Believe there are 3 shaft lengths short, long and longer for sail boats. Is the long the proper shaft length? Use the boat mostly for fishing walleye.
Thanks

j_k_bisson

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Installing kicker motor

You will want to decide between a 20" and a 25" shaft. The deciding factor is where you fish. I fish in Lake Erie one of the great lakes. In this lake the waves, Walleye chop, have a tendancy to become big. Around the 4-5' average day, with the occassional day of 6-7'ers. The longer shaft helps keep the prop in the water in these larger waves. I have a 20" and I have had to sink the hood as close to the water in order to keep the prop in the water in the waves.

But if you are in smaller lakes and rivers where the waves don't become large then the normal 20" shaft should work for you.

Also, just as a side note, if you are like me, I would get a kicker with electric start and tilt if I could find it. I keep my motors until either they or I die. So I would recommend getting all the features, they cost more then the standard motor, but in the long term I will use them....... JMHO