1998 Baja Sidewinder 20ft What are everyone thoughts?

cclements716

Petty Officer 3rd Class
am looking into to buying one. A guy has one for a pretty good price (from what i know). It does need a fuel pump but other than that it is fine. It has the 5.0L Mercruiser. Interior looks to be in pretty good condition. Not faded or any hard or torn spots. Hull looks good. Shiny and glossy. I thought if i did but it i would possibly re-gel it so that i could get rid of the old graphics pack. How much should it be worth fixed up and running. New Water pump, and a general tune up? What are everyones thoughts on this hull / hull/engine package. Known problems? High points? Low points? Thanks

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1998 Baja Sidewinder 20ft What are everyone thoughts?

I would not buy a non running boat without a trusted mechanic's inspection . you'll need a compresion test at minimum- a check of the outdrive. a bad fuel pump could be an excuse for a serious problem.
the 5.o would be ok power but will need to run hard to have fun.It has probaly been run hard and not maintained well- fuel pump is too easy a fix to not do-:facepalm:poor excuse for non running boat.
my $.02
photos & the asking price will tell us alot. good luck!

cclements716

Petty Officer 3rd Class

He is asking $7900 OBO. If i were to go check it out i was going to use a spray mist bottle with gas and try and get it to start. I always like to do compression tests before i buy anything. I didnt do one on my last pontoon with a merc 470 and ran into some problems. But thats what happen with boats, its just the nature of the beast. What do you think about this price? High? Average? Low? Deal? Steal?

John_S

Rear Admiral

Here is one that sold for that, over a year ago, and no reported problems: http://bajasidewinder.blogspot.com/

Elec fuel pumps are a bit pricey, but if that was the only thing wrong with it, why wouldn't he fix it? I suspect other issues, as well.

cclements716

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I am going to look into it more. If it isnt a deal or steal im not going for it.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

re gelcoating any boat will run you 5k

cclements716

Petty Officer 3rd Class

A friend of mine is a Master Marine Mech. He, another friend of mine and I just redid a 24ft Robalo last summer and i think he ended up spending around 7-800. It was a little work but not too bad.

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

I bought a Mercruiser mechanical fuel pump $250 and installed myself-not hard at all

gtochris

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Gel-coating I dont see necessary unless it has gauges on the side, unlike cars, boats- just wetsand it down and compount/ polish/ wax. You can wetsand out most graphic marks.

emilsr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Watch out for transom and stringer rot. Bajas of that vintage are notorious for water intrusion into the wood parts. Check it carefully or better yet have a competent surveyor look at it.

Even in good running condition I don't think it would be worth $7,900. Buy it because you want it, otherwise look elsewhere....flipping boats is an iffy proposition.

Go over it with a fine toothed comb looking for stress cracks, that seems to be a problem for several Baja models.

I also agree with others who have expressed the sentiment that if the only thing wrong is a fuel pump why didn't the owner fix it before putting it up for sale.

chriscraft254

Commander

I'm with everyone else here. I have nothing to offer on that particular boat, but if the price is fair to you, why don't you make the deal pending new fuel pump installed and sea trial.

If the fuel pump is the only thing wrong, the guy should have no reason to make that deal!!!!

I would not buy the boat without a sea trial, motor checked by marine mechanic,compression check, survey done, and I would also be offering low to start with. This market is soooooo soft, that boats are selling really cheap. Just saw a 25 ft mako walk around cuddy in great condition with twin outboards that run perfect sell on ebay for $3500.00. Insane what boats are going for today.

Op, you said its the nature of a boat, not true! A well maintained boat will be running when you buy it!

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

I'm with everyone else here. I have nothing to offer on that particular boat, but if the price is fair to you, why don't you make the deal pending new fuel pump installed and sea trial.

If the fuel pump is the only thing wrong, the guy should have no reason to make that deal!!!!

I would not buy the boat without a sea trial, motor checked by marine mechanic,compression check, survey done, and I would also be offering low to start with. This market is soooooo soft, that boats are selling really cheap. Just saw a 25 ft mako walk around cuddy in great condition with twin outboards that run perfect sell on ebay for $3500.00. Insane what boats are going for today.

Op, you said its the nature of a boat, not true! A well maintained boat will be running when you buy it!

yes indeed x2

Friscoboater

Captain

Yep something is fishy there. If it is that easy, the owner would have fixed it. When I am looking at something that is not running I start the negotiations at half of what a running price would be and go from there. Tell the guy it is not personal, but you have no idea what you are getting into.

tpenfield

Staff member

am looking into to buying one. A guy has one for a pretty good price (from what i know). It does need a fuel pump but other than that it is fine. It has the 5.0L Mercruiser. Interior looks to be in pretty good condition. Not faded or any hard or torn spots. Hull looks good. Shiny and glossy. I thought if i did but it i would possibly re-gel it so that i could get rid of the old graphics pack. How much should it be worth fixed up and running. New Water pump, and a general tune up? What are everyones thoughts on this hull / hull/engine package. Known problems? High points? Low points? Thanks

Just curious how you know all this stuff about the boat? Is it based on your inspection or the seller's word?

If it is not in operating condition, then you should be buying it at salvage prices. Go to NADA.com for price guides for the model/year.

The boat is basically a sports car, you'll have big wind in your face, as it does not really have a windshield, just a deflector
Fixing it up will only bring up the value a little bit, it will generally cost a lot more than the increase in value.