What can you do and not do......electrically ....What are USCG Regulations ?

vincechig1975

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have heard, and seen so many things you can do with and in a boat based on size, but what are USCG regs for electronic devices and layout of the internal structure of water craft ? Just a complicated question that needs an uncomplicated answer......lol

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: What can you do and not do......electrically ....What are USCG Regulations ?

simply put.....its your boat and you can do what ever you want with it....

rules state that if you are going in the ocean...off shore...you need a vhf radio....and a compass...

out side of that.......here are the rules

1. Each battery must be installed to that metallic objects cannot come into contact
with the ___________ battery terminals.
2. Hydrogen gas discharged by a battery must not accumulate in the boat.
3. Alternators and starter motors must be intended for marine use.
4. Each conductor must be insulated stranded copper wire.
5. Each electrical component in the engineroom and bilges must be fully enclosed
or otherwise protected to prevent the ignition of gasoline vapors.
6. Each ungrounded current carrying conductor must be protected by a manually
reset, trip-free circuit breaker or fuse.
7. Each conductor or group of conductors must be supported by clamps or straps
not more than 18 inches apart, unless the conductor or group of conductors is
enclosed in a rigid duct or conduit. The clamps, straps, ducts or conduits must be
designed to prevent chafing or damage to the conductor insulation.
8. A soldered connection must not be the sole means of connection between two or
more conductors or between a conductor and a connector. Crimped terminals
and connectors are preferred.
9. Low voltage conductors must comply with SAE Standard J1127 and J1128 and
the insulation temperature rating of SAE J378b or UL Standard 1426.
More complete information and illustrations of the requirements of the Fuel and
Electrical System Standards may be obtained by requesting a copy of:
a. Fuel System Compliance Guideline; or
b. Electrical System Compliance Guideline
From the American Boat and Yacht Council, 3069 Solomon?s Island Road, Edgewater,
MD 21037-1416.

vincechig1975

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: What can you do and not do......electrically ....What are USCG Regulations ?

Hey thanks Oops. I was wondering this after seeing your rebuild, and it made me a bit curious as to the very nature of what could be done. I am sure you could give me some pointers where I need based on photo and description of work to be done as I proceed. I appreciate all the help I get being a first timer to this type of work . The electrical part I understand how to do, it's making sure it meets or exceeds the guidelines per say.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

when ever i am doing any electrical connections.....i crimp and shrink wrap them.....

vincechig1975

Petty Officer 1st Class

I read your post about the lake monster up there, interesting to hear that it may be related to Nessy, that is really cool to hear,

oops!

Supreme Mariner

they just got some shots of it in the water a few weeks ago.....

this spring/summer......(now that i know where it hangs out) im taking my camera.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Here's another little tidbit that will save you some grief although not an acutal requirement. Coat all screw or post/nut terminations with liquid tape. This will go a long way towards keeping them tight and corrosion free. I know it looks like heck but it does the job better than anything I've found so far.

erwinner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for that list, oops! Should be a sticky or something...
One curiosity I have is why crimped connections are preferred to soldered?
Keep in mind I have done 0 wiring on a boat (tiller O/B here) but have spent countless hours behind a soldering iron working on audio and video equipment. (on land, of course :D)
Is it a heat issue?

oops!

Supreme Mariner

yep....heat

the uscg rules are a sticky in the how to at the top of the forum.

liquid tape is ok.....i use stuff called corosion block......its a spray on like wd 40.....it makes the motor look great....all shiney.....and even after a few years....bolts and screws are no problem

herefishy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I got this from here:

http://newboatbuilders.com/pages/elect_a.html

Solder must not be the sole means of connection between two or more conductors or between a conductor and a connector.

What? I can't use solder? Yes you can, BUT, it must not be the only connection. You must also have some sort of mechanical connector, such as crimp type connectors, that hold the two wires together. When you solder the wire it becomes essentially a solid single conductor wire. It forms a hard spot in the wire that concentrates the stress at that point and becomes prone to breaking. So use a connector as well as soldering. Some marine wiring experts even advocate not using solder at all. But this is a matter of opinion. Some think the acids in the solder cause corrosion, others disagree. So if you do solder, use an acid free solder and make sure it is good solid solder not a "cold solder"

herefishy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ah! It appears the concern is producing a solid single conductor (soldered joint) that does not flex. Solid wire is not allowed - it will break after much flexing (which it may be prone to do on a boat). Stranded wire is more flexible, and movement of the conductor does not cause damage.

Last edited:

Sea Stomper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Those are all very good guidelines.