Transom notch problems.

DocTide

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Went to get boat inspected for motor yesterday, the motor I want wont fit the transom. The transom is notched, and I was told to get it leveled. I am worried because leveling it seems like it wont keep the strength at the top of it. I was going to get it profesionally repaired but wanted to make sure I do everything I can. The motor weighs around 185#, would a transom plate, or transom protector be worth the investment in this case? How "invasive" is leveling a notched transom? Its only about 8"length x 3"height x 2.5-3"deep. Do they make transom plates that would help out in this situation? Or anything for that matter? Or am I just being overly worried?

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Transom notch problems.

Pictures would help,............

DocTide

Petty Officer 2nd Class

TransomNotch1.jpg

TransomNotch2.jpg

Here they are. The second pic is actually measured at about 3". Im also not sure if it should filled to the full 3" or just the 2.5 for a motor to be mounted on it.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

I guess I don't understand the problem,...

Hopefully someone else will see this and have an answer,....

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

I think what he means is the new motor is a little wider and wont fit in the notch. Is this correct? Or possibly shaft length but I don't see that as being an issue.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

I think what he means is the new motor is a little wider and wont fit in the notch. Is this correct? Or possibly shaft length but I don't see that as being an issue.

If that's the case I would either fill it in, Or mount the motor on a jack plate,.........

oops!

Supreme Mariner

for the amount of time that would take....i would cut a chunk of wood,,,,,glass it in there.....gellcoat it and call it a day