Old trailer new car- need help wiring

aeviaanah

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I hooked up the trailer to a newer car today to find out it had a different wiring system. The car side had a 2 pin connection with a red and black wire. The trailer has a typical 4 pin connection black, white, brown and yellow. Has anyone converted this before? What is the easiest way about getting the lights to work?

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Re: Old trailer new car- need help wiring

the easiest way is to drop by one of several places that sells trailer wiring supply's and pick up a wiring harness T connector, it is designed to be put in the existing vehicle harness, on all vehicles their is a connection point from the main harness back to the rear lights it is normally on the frame some place close the back of the car or truck you may have to trace the harness back from the back lights to find it. That's the hardest part. The T connectors are designed to snap in to the factory harness, and have a 4 wire outlet to match up to most trailer harnesses. To do the job you need the T connector and a 4 wire drop cord that has booth normal trailer wire connectors on it and some dielectric grease and a few wire ties. their is no cutting or sorting what wires dose what. Every thing is converted and hooked up correctly in the T connector. I normally get mine from Advance auto, but I am sure their many other sources.

skyking897

Petty Officer 1st Class

MH has the right idea. Easiest and most fail safe way to install trailer wiring to your vehicle. The 2 wire connector sounds like a power source for some sort of 12 volt appliance, like an air pump. Typically on automotive apps, red is positive and black is ground, but not always in the newer vehicles. Some of the GM vans like the Montana have a power cord in the rear, not to be confused with trailer wiring.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

2 existing wires are not for trailer lights.

You will need to find the hidden light pigtail, or install one.

You need a minimum of 4 wires.

See owners manual, dealer, or auto parts store.

aeviaanah

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok looks like I may have found the wrong harness. Thanks everyone. Ill look around.

j_martin

Admiral

Ok looks like I may have found the wrong harness. Thanks everyone. Ill look around.

Read MH Hawker's post #2. Start with identifying your vehicle to a trailer sales or auto parts store and pick up the correct "T" harness with instructions of which connector to break and insert the T. (sometimes more than 1)

Then it's done right and sealed up. If there's a conflict in systems, ie separate brake light circuits, there will be electronics in the "T" to deal with it.