cooling properly? Water pump to water tube connection

glengold

Petty Officer 1st Class
Today I tore down my 1977 55hp evinrude because I'm worried that it isn't cooling properly. This motor doesn't have a tell tale, but water comes out of the slots on the back of the midsection. It appears to have less water coming out @ WOT than it did a few years ago. I've felt the water coming out the slots and it isn't hot, but I'm concerned that there may be some blockage inside the block.

After running for a minute or two WOT it starts making a noise it never used to make, like a light grinding sound. Today I inspected the water pump and impeller, impeller looks new but the seal, part 61, was missing. Part #76, the water tube bracket doesn't seem to seal to the water tube correctly. It appears that the entire cavity within the exhaust housing fills with water, it that OK? I'm also tracking down an exhaust leak because the motor runs MUCH better with the cowling off.

Compression tested today before tear down: 145 and 140.
Carbs have been cleaned and rebuilt.
WOT Timing has been adjusted from 22 to 19 where it belongs.

As you can tell I'm having a few issues but this motor has potential to be a good motor. Any advice on tracking down the light grinding sound? The gearcase is fine, oil still looks new and yellow. The overheat switch is bad so pulling the heads and inspecting the block isn't a far fetched idea. I can replace the overheat switch when I get in there.

http://www.**********/parts/search/BRP/EVINRUDE/1977/55773D/GEARCASE/parts.html

wow, iboats blocks the schematics from competitors. you will have to pull it up yourself if you want to see the part numbers I'm referring to, sorry. ********** B O A T S dot N E T

Thanks in advance.

glengold

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: cooling properly? Water pump to water tube connection

Part 68 and 69 are missing too, the gearcase to exhaust housing screw right in front of the trim tab.

nwcove

Admiral

id start by replacing the missing parts. ( does your motor exhaust through the prop?)

glengold

Petty Officer 1st Class

3 ways: through prop, holes above cav plate, and slits on upper exhaust housing. I know the parts need to be there, I'm somewhat concerned that the further I dig, the more missing parts I will find!!! There were sand deposits on the water hose/water pump connection so I'm thinking I may need to look deeper. Compression is good so I'm inclined to keep looking.